R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modified m269s on ebay  (Read 1811 times)

mikezietsman

• Real Full Name: Mike Zietsman
Modified m269s on ebay
« on: October 10, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »

I'm not sure if it is in the scope of this forum but please could we have a discussion about these microphones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-of-Vintage-Neumann-M269-Microphones-Mics-with-cases-cables-and-PSU/123823697475?hash=item1cd477ae43:g:3SAAAOSwd8hdHVm7

"Factory modified with ef86 to avoid the hassle and expense of ac701k"

As an owner of an unmodified u67 and m269c I know how similar they sound. But surely this modification makes these mics into u67s?

And even though they are factory modified surely there would a be a corresponding drop in value? Or maybe these are just u67s with m269 bottom bells?

Given the "factory modified" line I would personally expect more detailed info about the power supplies and modifications (as well as pictures?)

Anyways, I am not interested in purchasing the microphones but it is an interesting discussion (at least I think)

klaus

Re: Modified m269s on ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 02:45:02 PM »

The Ebay auction has too little visual information to make an educated guess about the conversion and the effect on the mic's value: capsule, inside amp or power supply are not shown. Also: the connectors are not the original Tuchel type, but East German copies which are not compatible with Tuchels.

If the mics were indeed "factory" converted to U67, there should be a Neumann-issued document. If not, the collectible value suffers, and the mics' usefulness as a recording tool will be your guide for pricing.

Always think of the other end of any Frankenstein mic: how much explaining will you have to do, when it's YOUR time to sell?

Take all of this into consideration before you bid.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

reedblack

• Real Full Name: Reed Black
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 07:12:16 PM »

I wanted to add that I saw these pop up on Reverb.com shortly after this conversation, for a heavily discounted $3.8k — then promptly sell.  Not sure if either of you corresponded with the seller, but clearly he or she became aware that something was amiss and wanted to sell immediately, no matter how low the price.  Hope there was something of value for the buyer.
Reed Black
Owner and engineer
Vinegar Hill Sound
Brooklyn, NY

klaus

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 02:55:59 AM »

Not sure if either of you corresponded with the seller....
I did not.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 23 queries.