R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer A800 Azimuth Question  (Read 180 times)

leftofthedial

• Real Full Name: Robert S Stevens
Studer A800 Azimuth Question
« on: August 31, 2019, 02:00:44 pm »

So I finally got around to checking the Azimuth on my A800 MKI that I've had a few years.  Fixing all the things. 

I've set azimuth on dozens of 2 track machines and a couple Fostex 16 tracks, never with much hassle.

However, When I set the azimuth on the A800 as per the manual I find phase shifts all over the place.  For instance If I do as the manual says, and set azimuth using channel 1-2.  Then check 1-3, there is a slight shift.  especially when setting the record azimuth. When I check 1-8, the shift is almost 180 degrees. 

If i do similar starting at channels 11-12 then start working outward (ie. 11-13, 11-14/ 12-10,12-9) the drift starts again, being completely out of phase when I get to 11-24/12-1.

The playback head shows a little drift, but mostly the record azimuth is the one that wanders significantly.

I'm assuming this is not normal?

Any insight would be appreciated.

The heads have been lapped by JRF a few years back (before I got the machine) but they look in great condition.  I could send them off to be redone and at a minimum have them do their laser alignment.  But want to know some thoughts before I let the postal services have a chance to lose my headstack.

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
Re: Studer A800 Azimuth Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 04:49:25 pm »

The individual track head gaps on multitrack heads NEVER match up perfectly.  What I usually do is see how far out ALL the heads are then pick two that are very close to each and use that as a guide for azimuth.

leftofthedial

• Real Full Name: Robert S Stevens
Re: Studer A800 Azimuth Question
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 04:36:05 pm »

I think the zenith is off on the record head.  Although the service manual implies that is unlikely :).  Obviously something or someone has messed with the head height screws at some point. The ones service manual says to never touch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up