R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: studio designer...I need some advice  (Read 2390 times)

Ed Littman

studio designer...I need some advice
« on: September 13, 2004, 06:44:19 PM »

I've spoken to a few design firms & a couple of them have said my room, an over sized two car garage that measures inside at 23.2 X 19.4 X 9.9 high (not including the attic)would run in the area of $70k or more to design & build.  

The problem I'm having is how to budget the different stages of the project. I don't think I'll go with the firms that are that high in price. One of the alternatives is using an acoustician that can come in take measurements & draw a detailed plan & cut out the architect all together. His fee is half of some bigger design firms in NYC. the other option is to use a leading designer that would not be that expensive (half of the above acoustician) in the design, but he would not be on location either.He would need detailed info on the roof before designing.
I do have a contractor that is reliable & all he needs are the detailed plans to go forward. Of course I can't get an estimate from him until i have the plans drawn up.
Part of the unknown as of yet is how the roof is affixed. It was added later & I'm not sure if it's worth breaking through the ceiling that raises to the roof at the center maybe to 15ft?. Their are two support beams in the front & back of the attic. My contractor suggested that I get an engineer to decide how to deal with it, & the well known but economical designer said that my contractor should handle it. Who do I go to?

So to sum it up, this is what it coming down to.

acoustician --$8,000 complete drawings/tests two on site visits (with his analysis I'll know exactly what to do with the attic/roof) or

Famous designer -- #$3,000 plans only, no on-site visit, I have to supply him with roof info Confused

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Ed

Bob Olhsson

Re: studio designer...I need some advice
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 10:31:18 AM »

I need to make a macro that types:

Call George Augspurger: (323) 665-0191 or (323) 660-9351

Ed Littman

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 11:08:53 AM »

George is who I was refering to as the well known designer.
Since he wont make & on sight visit the details of part of my structure (roof/ceiling)is still an unkown. George needs a detailed messurment & assensment before hand. That means I have to hire a 3rd party to do so. My contractor is reliable & on time, but said an engineer should  handle that task.
Ed

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 07:57:56 PM »

According to everybody I know, it's very likely that George's plans will be lots less expensive to build than most acoustician's.

Since you like the contractor, have him/her recommend a structural engineer to make drawings and assess any limitations. You'd probably need to pay for an assessment anyway before you could get a building permit.

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 08:49:44 PM »

My vote is have GA handle the design and do whatever is necessary to make it happen 'right'...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Ed Littman

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 12:05:33 AM »

Thank you gents for your advise & encouragement.
Ed

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 09:22:09 AM »

Hey Ed -
Congratulations on your impending facility upgrade!

Is this going to be in the same place you are at now or are you moving to a new location?  Are you still going to be in Manhattan?

Hope everything goes great for your construction.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ed Littman

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 02:14:05 PM »

Thanks Steve,
My wife & I just bought a house in North Haledon Nj (havn't even moved in yet!) 30/40 min to the city. There's alot of land & woods & I'm quite ready for the change( I hope my clients are too). The garage is perfect for a mastering suite, prety good size & cement, except the doors & roof. there's alot of parking, & one can have a full length footbal game in the front yard to boot. I'll be in manhattan until the end of march 05.
Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.