R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U87 (female) contacts for the capsule assembly  (Read 305 times)

RuudNL

• Real Full Name: Ruud van Steenis
U87 (female) contacts for the capsule assembly
« on: July 06, 2019, 03:24:00 pm »

I have a Neumann U87 with some damaged contacts in the microphone body.
It seems that someone has removed the capsule assembly and placed it back while the pins of the capsule head were not properly aligned.
So I would like to replace the contacts, but the problem is where to find the correct type.
I know that Neumann used to sell the whole socket assembly, but it goes a bit far to order a complete new one, because only a couple (2 or 3) of the small contacts are damaged.
So: where could I find usable (female) contacts, that would fit the plastic base?
Eventually I could use contacts from a cable connector that would take the same pin size (1.5 mm if I remember correctly). Any help would be highly appreciated!

klaus

Re: U87 (female) contacts for the capsule assembly
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 05:35:37 pm »

You gave the hint for the solution in your last sentence: simply* extract one from a Tuchel broadcast connector, and install it in the mic! The contacts used in U87/U67 head assemblies are actually the same as used in Tuchel-brand broadcast mic cable connector females.

* You need to use a trick to extract the pin from the connector without damaging its anchor: push the little barb/anchor which blocks the pin from coming out of its position inside the plastic connector IN, i.e. towards the center, as you lift it out. Use a very small screwdriver blade to do this:  ≤ 1.2 mm. Once out, reestablish the angle of the barb, so it again will seat properly in the Neumann head without being pulled out when removing the capsule head
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

RuudNL

• Real Full Name: Ruud van Steenis
Re: U87 (female) contacts for the capsule assembly
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 03:28:50 am »

Thanks Klaus! That is a great and simple solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up