R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What if M49 circuit, CK12 Cap?  (Read 1476 times)

Mishro

What if M49 circuit, CK12 Cap?
« on: May 25, 2019, 02:35:07 PM »

Good M49 circuit, with good CK12 style capsule?

Realistically, what would it sound like on vocals? A combination of both mics? Darker C12? A darker C12 with softened high end? Well rounded mic with nice high end extension?
I just can't wrap my brain around this one...

Would anyone attempt it and if you have, what was your results? Would you repeat it again?

Thanks.
Mishro

klaus

Re: What if M49 circuit, CK12 Cap?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 02:55:20 PM »

A mic with 2/3 of the core components of both already exists: ELA M251 with AC701.

What is the take-away here? Here, as with every other condense mic, the capsule dominates the timbre and characteristics, all else being equal.
Or, to be more precise, and based on personal experience: an ELA M251/AC701 still sounds C12-ish.

What throws such academic discussion off, and why these comparisons are only applicable when using the genuine articles: your idea of "good M49 circuit" and "CK12 STYLE capsule". None of the aftermarket stuff comes close enough to warrant further speculation what these combinations would actually sound like: even when using original AC701, no one currently makes CK12, BV11 or T14/1 to original building specs.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mishro

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 03:24:58 PM »

Thanks for your contribution Klaus (now and always),

Makes sense.  I should've noted, and what I personally believe would be a reasonably good CK12 style capsule.

Would the larger transformer (BV 11 style) beef up any attributes of the capsule, make it sound warmer, creamier, other? Perhaps you've already answered to the best of your knowledge above, but I wanted to consider clarifying.

Thanks.
Mishro

klaus

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 05:14:02 PM »

I have found that the strength of these large Neumann transformers lies primarily in the representation of lower and lower-mid frequencies. The bigger core just does not saturate so much when high SPLs are pushed into it.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.