R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reissue u67 head on a vintage body  (Read 2899 times)

mikezietsman

• Real Full Name: Mike Zietsman
Reissue u67 head on a vintage body
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:06:39 AM »

Does anyone know if a u67 reissue head and switch assembly will work on a vintage u67 electronics?

It looks to me as though there might be an extra pin on the u67 reissue... would love to know if it is possible.

I know the switches themselves are different but I don’t know about the assembly as a whole?

(Ie. Could it be a solution for people with snapped switches to restore full cosmetic function to just replace the whole holder and switch assembly? I also have a friend with a crumbling head and switch mechanism and a new part would be very convenient!)

Thank you!

Mike

klaus

Re: Reissue u67 head on a vintage body
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:59:47 PM »

The Reissue head will work on the vintage U67 with only a slight modification of the mic's top portion required:

You already mentioned the seventh (ground) pin on the U67 Reissue (same head as used on the current U87Ai). You can leave that pin in place, and there are two ways to achieve connecting the seven pin head to its six pin counterpart on the mic amp:

1. Remove the plastic lid covering the high-impedance components embedded in the top of the mic amp. This will reveal a pre-positioned dummy hole exactly where the seventh pin will fit.

2. My preference, as it better protects the high-impedance components from premature contamination: leave the lid in place, and drill a hole through it on the exact position of the seventh pin. It will correspond with the pre-drilled dummy hole mentioned in #1.

Regarding broken switch nipples on your original U67: You are out of luck for a cheap solution. That switch design is three generations old, and no parts are available anymore. You would have to order a complete U87Ai/U67 Reissue head assembly.

I restore broken actuator nipples with, depending on the era, clear or white plastic rods of the same diameter, insert and glue them into the pre-drilled actuator position where the original nipple broke off, and finish the surface of the new nipple's ends to a smooth semi-round, as on the originals. With a bit of practice, the result is virtually indistinguishable from the original!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 01:35:47 AM »

N

I restore broken actuator nipples with, depending on the era, clear or white plastic rods of the same diameter, insert and glue them into the pre-drilled actuator position where the original nipple broke off, and finish the surface of the new nipple's ends to a smooth semi-round, as on the originals. With a bit of practice, the result is virtually indistinguishable from the original!

Sounds fun!  Any tips on a plastic rod source? 

klaus

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 03:37:34 AM »

China, via eBay
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

mikezietsman

• Real Full Name: Mike Zietsman
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:09:20 AM »

Thanks as always for your input klaus!

I see that the U87i head has an identical pin placing to the u67 reissue head. If I connect a k67 capsule to a U87i head (and only route the ground to the appropriate place) would it work identically to the same thing in the u67 whilst I wait for parts?

klaus

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »

Let's be really clear about the terminology for identifying mic heads:

For full functionality in all patterns, a U87i head will only work on a U87/U87i. However, the U87Ai head and U67 Reissue head are identical, and will work on any U87Ai and on the U67 Reissue.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.