R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG 414EB and 414EB-P48: Sound Differences?  (Read 4348 times)

Avgatzeblouz

• Real Full Name: Manuel MARIE
AKG 414EB and 414EB-P48: Sound Differences?
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:01:56 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm looking to get a pair of one of those. I'm quite used with the 414eb, and never heard the P48. It seems to me the only difference is the lack of DC-DC converter in the P48 iteration. Do you guys know if the sound is different between the 2 versions, granted they have the same capsule mounted in them, of course.
Thank you everyone.

Manuel.

klaus

Re: 414eb and 414eb P48 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:16:45 PM »

The big difference between the two models is indeed the capsule-making one (the original silver EB) about 500% more expensive than the other. There are a few late-70s silver EBs with the Nylon "Teflon") CK12 capsule, but these are also heavily discounted over those with the screwed brass-ring CK12..

Stocked with the Nylon CK12 capsule, I would describe the sound of both models similarly unexciting and therefore interchangeable.

Get the old EB with a brass capsule, pay the price, be happy with the sound, and be extra happy when it comes time to sell!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:35:55 AM »

Agreed.  I love my 414eb pair with brass ck12's. 
This might be a little off topic a bit, but a friend just picked up a C412 (brass ck12) with N64e PSU.  He was wondering if the mic is also able to be powered by standard 48v phantom from his console.
I measured the output of the n64e and it is 12v.  So I told him "no".  But is it possible that it could be OK?  I found some AKG literature stating that the c412 and c414 were both able to be phantom powered.  Is there a wide range of acceptable voltage?

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 09:45:14 AM »

The big difference between the two models is indeed the capsule-making one (the original silver EB) about 500% more expensive than the other. There are a few late-70s silver EBs with the Nylon "Teflon") CK12 capsule, but these are also heavily discounted over those with the screwed brass-ring CK12..

Stocked with the Nylon CK12 capsule, I would describe the sound of both models similarly unexciting and therefore interchangeable.

Get the old EB with a brass capsule, pay the price, be happy with the sound, and be extra happy when it comes time to sell!

Lol, thanks for your answer, Klaus ! Money not being at its highest right now, I'm wondering if getting a P48 version and putting my Tim Campbell capsule in it would make it a nice approach of a 414eb at roughly a third of the price.

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »

I have had very good luck with the Tim Campbell CK12's and would recommend them as an alternative.  I also have two EB-P48's, with original nylon capsules, and they can be workhorses for anything from drum overheads to electric and acoustic guitars.  But for vocal work they fall short, and it is because of the characteristics of the nylon capsule which is very flat and unimaginative.  The Tim Campbell capsules should get them in the ballpark.

klaus

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 12:29:18 PM »

I'm wondering if getting a P48 version and putting my Tim Campbell capsule in it would make it a nice approach of a 414eb at roughly a third of the price?

Won't comment on the sound comparisons between original and copy, but if you go that route, you will also need to get a separate capsule mount for the old-style CK12 capsule, which is mounted differently than the new-style CK12 (Nylon), which incorporates its own mount.

He was wondering if (a C412)  is also able to be powered by standard 48v phantom from his console?

Yes, any voltage from 9-52 VDC will power any silver-bodied AKG 414. Your headroom mileage may vary...
And that's why, on the EB, you could customize the amp's current consumption to Phantom-only use by snipping a wire bridge on the amp board.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 03:29:01 PM »

Won't comment on the sound comparisons between original and copy, but if you go that route, you will also need to get a separate capsule mount for the old-style CK12 capsule, which is mounted differently than the new-style CK12 (Nylon), which incorporates its own mount.

Thanks for that, this is precious information.

afterlifestudios

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »

Yes, any voltage from 9-52 VDC will power any silver-bodied AKG 414. Your headroom mileage may vary...
And that's why, on the EB, you could customize the amp's current consumption to Phantom-only use by snipping a wire bridge on the amp board.

Is this something I should do to my 414eb’s?

klaus

Re: AKG 414EB and 414EB-P48: Sound Differences?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 08:46:10 PM »

Yes. It reduces stresses on your phantom supply, and may even avoid finder-cap hum.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

afterlifestudios

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 01:35:59 AM »

OK.  Would that be the jumper at R14?  Do you have any words of wisdom before I get the snips out?
Thanks,
John

klaus

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 11:26:20 PM »

https://www.barryrudolph.com/recall/manuals/akg414eb.pdf
Read page 3, with picture of jumper bridge shown.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

afterlifestudios

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 12:56:52 AM »

Excellent. Thank you very much.

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 11:08:42 AM »

I believe Tim Campbell does have the mounting adapters to mount his capsule in a 414.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.