R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann U67 Reissue: Complete Tear Down and Analysis  (Read 90810 times)

Derek Samuel Reese

Re: Neumann U67 Reissue: Complete Tear Down and Analysis
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2020, 11:56:42 PM »

I thought this was interesting, a vintage neumann cable in black that looks like the reissue UC 5 cable but isn't ?
It was listed as a Sommer cable without any other information.
Wonder when this was available ?

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2020, 12:57:11 AM »

Here’s a good shot of my cable (presumably Belden)..  You can see the “corkscrew” best when looking down along the length of the cable....

klaus

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2020, 01:28:58 AM »

Not that I don't want absolute customer satisfaction, or your money back, but... can we now almost be done with this? It has taken up an awful amount of bandwidth.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Derek Samuel Reese

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2020, 05:39:02 AM »

Here’s a good shot of my cable (presumably Belden)..  You can see the “corkscrew” best when looking down along the length of the cable....
If your cable is a Belden then mine must be a Shelden because all the other cable I’ve been looking at have a pattern poking through the layer of wire.
I thought the corkscrew patter was underneath the cable not the actual shape of the cable.
I’m not sure what I bought but this is the wire it will have.
Klaus mentioned that the swivel mount picture i uploaded was the Belden cable, to my eyes the swivel mount cable and the guy holding the cable look the same to me which is why i put them together in this photo, but none of my cable pictures look like your cable, in fact if your cable is a Belden

Derek Samuel Reese

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2020, 05:59:05 AM »

Not that I don't want absolute customer satisfaction, or your money back, but... can we now almost be done with this? It has taken up an awful amount of bandwidth.
I am done and i feel like i have not learned anything after a lot of my time has gone into this,
i tried..

klaus

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »

Derek,
There is no reason to get upset.
The last picture you uploaded show the same cable construction in both shots, which indicate to me that they are the Belden that was used in the 1960s with U67. No other microphone cable of that era looked remotely close to the two you show in the photo. They both show a silvery, light gray cable with the braided shielding showing through the jacket and the shielding forming a twisted, corkscrew pattern as you look down on the cable.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Derek Samuel Reese

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »

Derek,
There is no reason to get upset.
The last picture you uploaded show the same cable construction in both shots, which indicate to me that they are the Belden that was used in the 1960s with U67. No other microphone cable of that era looked remotely close to the two you show in the photo. They both show a silvery, light gray cable with the braided shielding showing through the jacket and the shielding forming a twisted, corkscrew pattern as you look down on the cable.
I wasn't upset i just felt kind of silly, sometimes you can't hear the emotion that goes with an email or text message :-)
Thank you Klaus for unscrambling my brain, i m happy the Belden is coming and will report back on the sound.

Derek Samuel Reese

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2020, 05:19:34 PM »

Last question about mic cables, you have my word.
This Neumann cable i found that has the Neumann logo on the actual cable appears to be a reissue UC 5 but is not.
Could this be from the 1990's era when Neumann reintroduced the u67 or older ?
It was advertised as vintage.
Ok i am totally done and thank you for your patience and answers to my many questions Klaus.

klaus

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2020, 06:20:58 PM »

The cable in your latest photo is indeed the one that came with the 1992 reissue of the U67. It is a Gotham-Dörfler-(or similar grade) 7-conductor +shield cable of very high quality.
It will not sound the like Belden, if that is what you are after.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Derek Samuel Reese

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2020, 06:36:12 PM »

The cable in your latest photo is indeed the one that came with the 1992 reissue of the U67. It is a Gotham-Dörfler-(or similar grade) 7-conductor +shield cable of very high quality.
It will not sound the like Belden, if that is what you are after.
My hunch was that it was from the 90's era.
When my Belden cable comes i am so excited to compare it to the Gotham-Dorler cable i already have.
If i can't hear a difference can i send you my ears for you to retune, retension or reskin Klaus :-)
Thank you so very much for your time and knowledge.

Derek Samuel Reese

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2020, 12:02:50 AM »

I have learned that each element is important, capsule, tube, cable and power supply and obviously all the other components, but i haven't heard any mention of the output section of the power supply ? what Xlr cable should one use coming out of the psu ?
would that also play a role in the sound ?
seems like that would be equally important to bring this beautiful microphone signal to an interface.
My psu output is for an XLR, it does not have a Tuchel socket, so i guess the Tuchel (orange cable) i have in this post would not work.
I have also included a picture of a psu where the Tuchel would work (pic with red arrow) just for reference.

Derek Samuel Reese

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2020, 06:31:03 AM »

I wanted to make sure i got your timeline correct Klaus,
The vintage u67 in 1960 shipped with the Belden 3344 cable first, up next would be Around 1964 the 3344 was replaced with a Dörfler-made cable with Reussen-shield, next up was a Gotham GAC 7 and last would be the reissue cable.
Did i get this right ?
I ask because i have seen many people selling their u67's along with a certain cable that was not period correct, but when you ask them they say my 1962 u67 has the original cable it was shipped with and its a Doefler-made German Broadcast cable.
I am pretty sure that the Belden cable was also referred to as an EMT cable ? or no
You didn't mention an EMT cable anywhere in your teardown article.

klaus

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2020, 02:38:50 PM »

Addressing both issues:

1. All audio cable material used with a tube mic (and transistor mic!) set-up is important and should be of highest quality for RF rejection and sound.

2. I cannot give you a time line or transition years for what cable Neumann used at what point. It seems that the U67 shipped to the U.S. in the mid-1960s came with the Belden this whole discussion has been about. At least all U67 I have had here for service that had the "Gotham" sticker on the bottom of the power supply came with the Belden.

European deliveries of that mic may have used the most widely available cable material at the time- EMT/Gotham/Neumann versions of double Reussen layer 96-strand conductor material.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Derek Samuel Reese

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »

Addressing both issues:

1. All audio cable material used with a tube mic (and transistor mic!) set-up is important and should be of highest quality for RF rejection and sound.

2. I cannot give you a time line or transition years for what cable Neumann used at what point. It seems that the U67 shipped to the U.S. in the mid-1960s came with the Belden this whole discussion has been about. At least all U67 I have had here for service that had the "Gotham" sticker on the bottom of the power supply came with the Belden.

European deliveries of that mic may have used the most widely available cable material at the time- EMT/Gotham/Neumann versions of double Reussen layer 96-strand conductor material.
so is it safe to assume that this EMT is on the same level as the Belden ?

DanDan

• Real Full Name: Dan FitzGerald
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »

Hi Klaus, a very interesting (and to me useful) piece of research. I have an original and one of the reissues from the 90's or whenever that earlier one happened. They measure pretty much identical using REW and a good speaker. But I have always been a bit disappointed by the younger one. Presuming it is high, can the cap tension be reduced to deliver the classic sound?
Dan FitzGerald  MIOA MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.