R/E/P > Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab

Neumann U67 Reissue: Complete Tear Down and Analysis

<< < (5/33) > >>

klaus:
Hello Dusk,
If any of the three vintage mics were strapped differently, the output would be considerably different as well: 4-6 dB

But you can visually check as well: in the space between connector barrel and the tip of the tube is a rectangular brown circuit sub-board with "200" and two "50" imprinted. It's a bit hard to see because several colored wires are obscuring the board.

If the mic is set to 200Ω, a single wire, usually clear, as in the photo attached, loops between two solder points on the same side of the sub-board.

If the mic is set for 50Ω, there will be two wires soldered in parallel from one end of the board to the other.

But my hunch why your mics sound different: different capsule generations! Take a picture of each and upload it.

P.S.: I am happy that you are happy with your Reissue. As I mentioned in my review, the biggest variable, the current series K67 capsule, is inconsistent, and can range from superb to harsh and unmusical.

RuudNL:
After reading your in-depth analysis of the U67 re-release (my thanks for this!), A question remains: is the U67 reissue worth its money, or are there better alternatives?

klaus:
At the current street price, I believe the U67 Reissue beats anything comparable in price, and with a few judicious steps it can easily be moved into the world class of the vintage U67.

ameyerson:
As an owner of 2 of the reissues I have to admit I don't disagree. My listening test is not nearly as intricate as yours. Usually when I evaluate a new mic I start by using it as a cello spot mic in an orchestral setting. I feel the cello is a perfect instrument balance wise to give me a clear idea of how the mic responds. I've done it with so many mics now that I have a pretty good sense of how it works. Also there is no instrument that affects me emotionally like the cello. When it sings I feel it in the hairs on the back of my neck
I agree with the pinched upper midrange and the lean low end. It's a subtle shift and took me a while to get it.
On the other hand I really like the way the mic sound set in Omni. It seems to balance out tonally in Omni so when the situation is right I'll do that.
Love to get your hands on these, Klaus.
Best,
Alan

klaus:

--- Quote from: ameyerson on November 09, 2019, 04:26:16 PM ---(...) I feel the cello is a perfect instrument balance wise to give me a clear idea of how the mic responds.(...) there is no instrument that affects me emotionally like the cello.

--- End quote ---

I am not the first to note the similar timbre and expression of a cello and the human voice. It's therefore an excellent instrument to judge a mic, as Alan notes. It is enviable to work in a recording environment where cellos are common. The rest of us will have to do with voices, sometimes our own...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version