R/E/P > Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab

Neumann U67 Reissue: Complete Tear Down and Analysis

<< < (27/29) > >>

Derek Samuel Reese:
Fair enough, i will leave it at this-
I will use other words to describe what i heard- the reissue cable did not sound as full as the other cables, to me it lacked emotion.
I personally chose the Belden cable because it sounded better to my ears.

gtoledo3:
It is a difficult topic for many reasons, but one thing that seems to lead me to some interesting observations is to listen to the quality of the noise floor...bringing it up to a level where it can be easily heard. Be careful with monitor levels, etc.

If the actual sound of the noise floor shifts in a truly discernible way, sometimes it can seem to correlate with perceived differences in the audio output. The frequency distribution of the noise floor can have some interplay with the perceived sound quality of programatic audio. What I personally find interesting about that way of listening, is that sometimes it leads to realizing that certain things can sound cool, but may be inferior in some other way.

I think that aside from that, if you are actually auditioning audio through a given system, it leads to quicker and most solid conclusions to use a constant, looping source, whatever it may be, as opposed to sources that are unique each time, whether it be in performance or minor variances in distance from the mic.

Anyway, these comments aren’t aimed at any particular cable brand, or maybe even particular piece of gear, just general statements.

htiek:
Klaus,
I just purchased the new Neumann U67 Reissue. All I can say is: What are you talking about? This is a sublime microphone. Did you review the same mic?

"I already had an idea where the Reissue’s shortcomings might lie."

Sounds like you went in with an agenda and a prejudice. Did you stop to consider that at the modern day Neumann factory they may have a different idea than you do, about how to tension the capsule membrane. I realize that you repair and modify these mics for a living, and that many consider you to be the foremost expert on Neumann microphones. I don't know what it is that you're hearing, but it it ain't what I'm hearing.

klaus:

--- Quote from: htiek on March 22, 2022, 03:36:31 PM ---Klaus,
I just purchased the new Neumann U67 Reissue. All I can say is: What are you talking about? This is a sublime microphone. Did you review the same mic?
--- End quote ---
No, I did not review the same mic as yours, but a different sample of the same model. And obviously one that was quite a bit more bass-starved than yours. I am glad you found a winner, and you should have left it at that, rather than generalizing beyond your specific experience by vilifying mine.

--- Quote ---"I already had an idea where the Reissue’s shortcomings might lie."
Sounds like you went in with an agenda and a prejudice.

--- End quote ---
I think selectively quoting one sentence out of many in the same paragraph that gives it context is irresponsible. Read the parts you left out in my review: it details that I knew about quite a few buyers who had reported a bass-starved Reissue, way before I reviewed one myself, confirming the culprit.

Yet, as I wrote, replacing that particular K67 with another solved the problem, so it's not systemic (which I also mentioned). In addition I keep emphasizing frequently, and in various forums that the bass-starved K67/870 phenomenon is NOT universally found in all new mics, but is hit and miss.

Please let me know if you think I could express my personal and ongoing experience with the inconsistent quality of new K67/870 capsules in a more factual way.

soapfoot:
We also like our pair of U67 reissues and find them comparable in subjective performance to our three vintage original U67s... once we put a proper pair of EF86 in.

We used mesh-plate Valvos.

They're truly fantastic, in my opinion, after the tube swap. Importantly, our sequential-serial pair are a better match than any 2 of our other 3, so we use them a lot on piano and for drum overheads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version