R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft-on talkback button?  (Read 1729 times)

tom eaton

Soft-on talkback button?
« on: September 19, 2004, 09:18:59 AM »

Hey folks-

The talkback button on my Otari Elite sends a rather loud click down the headphone feeds when I push it.  Is there something I can put in the audio line to soften the switching in of the talkback mic?  The physical switch is easily accessible, and then feeds all 8 sends.  I don't know if there's amp post switch.  I'll have to check the schematics, which I have.  

Any thoughts appreciated.

-tom

Geoff_T

Re: Soft-on talkback button?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:19:12 AM »

TER wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 06:18

Hey folks-

The talkback button on my Otari Elite sends a rather loud click down the headphone feeds when I push it.  Is there something I can put in the audio line to soften the switching in of the talkback mic?  The physical switch is easily accessible, and then feeds all 8 sends.  I don't know if there's amp post switch.  I'll have to check the schematics, which I have.  

Any thoughts appreciated.

-tom

Hi

The usual reason for clicks is a voltage difference between the off and on contacts. Usually there's an amplifier feeding the switch that has to be tied to the same 0v as the bus bar it's feeding. The output coupling cap shouldn't be leaky (check that) and should have a pull down resistor to that same 0v potential.

You can also tie high value resistors around the contacts of the switch but my instincts tell me that's a bodge and you need to fix the real fault.... perhaps that cap?

Did it always click?

Smile
Geoff Tanner
http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0595093329/ref=sib_dp_pt/104 -6861899-0350336#reader-link

NB Please do not pm me if you want a fast response... please email me.

bobkatz

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 11:31:09 AM »

Make you sure it's not an acoustic pickup of your heavy fingers by the talkback mike itself   Smile

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Mark Donahue

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 12:27:53 PM »

Dear Tom,
One other thing to check is if the switch is actually actuating a relay to route the talkback or if the switch is actually passing the audio directly.
If it is a relay system there are a couple of things to check. Does the coil of the relay have a diode across the coil? If it doesn't, this is often a source of a large click.
All the best,
Mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
www.soundmirror.com
Mark Donahue
Chief Mastering Engineer
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
http://www.soundmirror.com

tom eaton

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 11:40:38 PM »

Thanks for feedback so far...

I don't know if it always clicked, I've only owned the board for a month.  I'll check to see if the switch is triggering a relay, not sure.  

What makes you think my fingers are heavy, Bob?

I'll check on the output cap, too.  Sounds like you all are thinking there's some DC on the line going through the switch...I wonder if the ambient noise in the control room (or noisy talkback mic preamp) is keeping some constant signal there and that's the source of the click voltage.

My original thought was to put a cap just after the switch to absorb the burst of noise...not sure if that would do it, though, or what value to use.

It's way louder than it should be, though...enough that folks with the phones on are mentioning it.  I'd love to have a 30 or even 50ms ramp up...that would be so much nicer in the cans than the sudden control room ambience.  

I'll check the schematics and post my findings tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the help-

Tom

bobkatz

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 10:16:39 PM »

TER wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 23:40

What makes you think my fingers are heavy, Bob?

No offense intended! It was followed by a Smile sign!  Just wanted to eliminate the possibility of acoustic pickup by the microphone. I've seen it happen, mike is mounted on the console surface and picks up drumming fingers....

You could also try a compressor/limiter on the preamp. Keeps the musicians from suing you for lost eardrums.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ssltech

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 06:47:14 PM »

On Neve V-series for example, it was an acoustic pickup of the mechanical activastion of the switch itself. -All V-series did it! -We looked into adding a slowly-ramped off FET mute circuit, but I never got round to it.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Rich Breen

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 05:46:47 PM »

ssltech wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 15:47

On Neve V-series for example, it was an acoustic pickup of the mechanical activastion of the switch itself. -All V-series did it!...

Keith

Yup, lots of consoles do this - one of the reasons I'll frequently use a remote talkback switch even though the main switch is right in front of me...

best,
rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.