R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So, What's That All About?  (Read 2784 times)

klaus

So, What's That All About?
« on: May 04, 2018, 11:06:26 PM »

I don't mean the smoking or her expression.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

mikezietsman

• Real Full Name: Mike Zietsman
Re: So, What's That All About?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 03:47:06 AM »

The mount was loose and the head engineer wasn’t in the room to correct the oversight?

Perhaps it was a mid century version of clearmountain’s tissue paper over the ns10 tweeter?
(That never really caught on)

(Disclaimer. I am aware that this forum looks down on speculation and would like to recognize that the above is, in fact, pure speculation)

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »

Given that it doesn’t look like it could really be doing anything with that placement, maybe it’s a placebo of some sort to deal with someone who is difficult to work with.

I heard that one time she was recording with Dowd and at the end of a take someone messed up. She walked out of the studio because “SHE got HER part right.”

Dowd had to have the band cut the track again, then fly in her vocal phrase by phrase over the acceptable instrumental backing. Remember, we’re talking tape, reel to reel.

I think there are more than a few stories along these lines.

I love a lot of her music, but it strikes me that if you’re working with someone that is so intemperate, you may find yourself clamping tissue paper to places in mics that wouldn’t do anything, as placebo/distraction.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 03:32:35 PM »

The mount was loose and the head engineer wasn’t in the room to correct the oversight?

The felt on the two suspension clips gripping the mic body on these mounts is pretty sturdy and rarely compresses to the point of slippage.

My belief in the impeccable professionality of 1960s studio engineers at Columbia, or whatever New York Studio this picture was taken at would be shattered. just shattered, if that was really the reason for the mini-diaper. Besides: don't they have scissors?

Or let's spin that yarn a bit further: the U.S. Telefunken importer was right around the corner-with a spare shock mount for a major star at the ready, I am sure.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »

It looks like it could have been a piece of foam that originally blocked the whole rear side, but that had chunks taken out of it, either on purpose or from someone just ripping off pieces, just to fiddle with it/no good reason.

Looking at the edges again, it looks sort of like it could be foam to me.

Dominick Costanzo

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 09:39:27 PM »

FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals 1967, not Columbia NYC. By 1967 when this session occured, that shock mount had very likely seen lots of use. I've dealt with more than a few 47 shock mounts where the adhesive holding the felt to the ring gave out. Be that a diaper or foam, it didn't hurt the music.
Dominick Costanzo

mikezietsman

• Real Full Name: Mike Zietsman
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 01:13:02 AM »

Having been in studio sessions with camera guys there is also a fairly good chance the engineers told the team they were off to lunch and the photographer set the shots up with absolutely no regard for the way the mics were setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.