R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C12A connector maintenance  (Read 3850 times)

J.J. Blair

C12A connector maintenance
« on: May 01, 2018, 02:04:43 AM »

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to use to make that swivel connector work?  I guess that rubber washer is supposed to act as a shock mount, but it fails at holding the mic upright.  I've seen pictures of people using various other washers.  Anything specific, so I don't make a bunch of trips to the hardware store is very appreciated. 

klaus

Re: C12A connector maintenance
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 02:23:50 AM »

I don't believe the rubber washer sandwiched between fiberboard spacers served as more than a marginal shock absorber. Its dimensions are  quite useless in attenuating low frequency transfer from the mic stand to the mic.

To stop drooping of the mic on its mount, I usually use fiberboard washers arranged in such a way that you have two washers pressing on each side against the metal loop of the upper link, and I use one or two rubber washers between fiber washers and the contact surface of the lower arm  containing the mic stand  thread.

If you need additional friction, add two fiber washers, so that all metal surfaces of the linkage first contact a fiber washer with its superior friction, rather than the sloppy rubber.

The latter arrangement would then look like this, from left to right:
lower mount-fiber-rubber-fiber-center mount-fiber-rubber-fiber-lower mount
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:53:35 PM »

Thans, Klaus!  I supposed I need to drill holes to that that one piece pass through, too. 

klaus

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »

???
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »

Found some M8 steel washer with 21mm diameter, that are 4mm thick, which is the exact thickness needed.  Had a hard time finding appropriate fiber washers.  I'll try this and let you know if it works.  I think I can bypass drilling the two holes, also.  Stay tuned. 

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »

I hadn’t had to deal with fixing the C12a stand mount specifically, but from some experience with a decent amount of similar standmounts, I think you might find the best results from putting a very thin neoprene (rubber) washer on one or both sides of the metal washer. That’s going to give the best grip.

A C12a isn’t exactly a heavy mic so it may not matter too much, but if you find it slipping, that’s a solid next step.

Stand mounts along these lines always seem cool but so often sorta suck. The low profile is nice though.

Eddie Cilletti modded some of these awhile back by taking off the stand mount base that connects to the bottom of the mic, and adding some metal tubing to the connector area (I think Peluso made that part)... so that a Rycote could easily be used.

DarinK

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »

Aren't those connectors pretty similar to those found on cheap microphone boom stands? I'm sure someone sells spare washers for those. They might be too big in diameter but could be cut down to size. Or maybe the washers for some drum hardware would work?

Mickeyrouse

• Real Full Name: Mickey Rouse
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »

The fibroid washers on the original C12A mount act as a kind of micro clutch. Being fiber, their life at this point is pretty much over. Steel or other washers will fit, but with metal it's pretty much an “all on-all off” situation.

For mine, I have found that stock Nylon (or Teflon) washers will do the trick. Better hardware stores will have these in their fasterner departments. You may have to buy over-size and file down to fit. But it will work.

mutterd

• Real Full Name: Timothy Herzog
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 11:38:25 PM »

Hey there,

If you are still looking for a way to make this mount work again - I have a PERFECT solution.

I got a custom nylon shoulder washer made, mated it with a pair of stainless steel washers and the results are smooth, long term stable and totally dependable.

I had to meet a minimum for the shoulder washer order so I have plenty for everyone.

Im thinking of offering sets for sale to people who want to keep these fantastic mounts in service.

send me a PM thru the site if you are interested - I can provide photos.

thanks!
Timothy

klaus

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 02:11:47 AM »

... but it must include a healthy discount for this forum's mainstays! Otherwise it would be just shameless free advertising!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.