R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it worth sourcing (high quality) replica CK12 capsules for vintage C414 EBs  (Read 17208 times)

ryanleighpatterson

• Real Full Name: Ryan Leigh Patterson

Hello, and my apologies if this has been asked in the past. 

I have a pair of vintage C414 EBs with replacement AKG teflon capsules.  The capsules are in good working order as they were sourced from a highly reputable mic expert a number of years ago.  However, I've been looking at building a DIY pair of C12 clones, with the idea of sourcing capsules from one of the reputable capsule builders.  Logically, it occurred to me that these capsules might also sound good in my 414s.  Has anyone tried this? 

If so, what are the main differences I would notice and is it worth the $$ to upgrade the teflon capsules with a clone CK12 capsule.
Back in the groove after a t/o in TO.  Dug my gear out of storage and I'm slowly building a studio in my reasonably sized garage.

klaus

C414EBs are a whole class up from any of the C12 replicas, in my opinion. So stepping down and sourcing replica capsules for your C414s strikes me as an inferior solution.
I would even consider replacing your old first-generation Teflon capsules with the improved TLII/ C12VR capsules before I would envision aftermarket products.

Tim Campbell is probably the most serious  about hunting after the original CK12 sound, if you really want to go the aftermarket route; but while I am familiar with his reskinning efforts,  I do not know what his complete CK12 copy capsules, which feature his own backplates, sound like.

P.S.: Keep in mind that will need to source a CK12 mount if you want to go the route of buying an original CK12 or copy, because the Teflon capsule's mount is an integral part of the capsule itself.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

soapfoot

• brad allen williams

Just for accuracy's sake--

Is the "teflon" capsule ring actually "teflon," or is it nylon?

I have always had some confusion on that matter.

Jim Williams

AKG uses a nylon surround. I have heard the Tim Campbell C-12 capsule mounted in a $189 Apex 460 mic donor body with a C-12 circuit applied using a Cinemag output transformer.

It sounded very good and close enough to prime time for me to accept. I doubt anyone would complain after a MP3 conversion.

granger.frederic

• Real Full Name: frederic granger

+1 for the Tim Campbell's CT12 capsule !

klaus

Is the "teflon" capsule ring actually "teflon," or is it nylon?
Teh ring is made of stark-white Nylon. But, just like not every Kleenex is made by Kleenex, not every Teflon surround (that's how it initially was named on the street) is made of Teflon.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

ryanleighpatterson

Thanks for the advice!  I replaced the original teflon capsules in 2005 with replacement teflon capsules.  How would I tell if they are TLII/C12 VR capsules? 
Back in the groove after a t/o in TO.  Dug my gear out of storage and I'm slowly building a studio in my reasonably sized garage.

klaus

The only way to tell from the outside, without taking them apart, is by listening or by part number.

Old-style B-ULS capsule: Part no. 2072-Z-0005
TLII.C12VR  capsule: Part no. 2072-Z-0009
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

ryanleighpatterson

I'm fairly adept at taking things apart (putting them back together is another story) so it shouldn't be too difficult to take a look at the numbers.  However, for general interest in this thread, is the TLII significantly brighter sounding?

klaus

You will not find the part number on the part. It's on a sticker glued to the little plastic box the capsule came in, or on your invoice.
The TLII is significantly brighter sounding than the original Teflon CK12.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

RPC360

• Real Full Name: R. Chalupa

The only way to tell from the outside, without taking them apart, is by listening or by part number.

Old-style B-ULS capsule: Part no. 2072-Z-0005
TLII.C12VR  capsule: Part no. 2072-Z-0009

Very late to this thread  :) but there actually is a physical difference. The resonator equipped capsules (2072Z0009, 2027Z0023) have a dimple in the diaphragm ring 180 degrees from the connection stud; the "flat" capsules (2072Z0005, 2072Z0022) do not. You can see this clearly in the photos at Saturn Sound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.