R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann reissues the U67  (Read 41915 times)

aremos

• Real Full Name: Ariel Remos
Neumann reissues the U67
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:32:10 PM »

Note: this thread was started before the mic was issued.
A few weeks later I reviewed and tested the U67 Reissue in great detail. Read it here:
https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,37307.0.html

As in the 90's, Neumann will once again put out the U67.

Hopefully, like the 47Fet, it will be an exact replica - including the PS, which I believe David Bock had mentioned was the only part of the 90's reissue he wasn't too happy with.

DigitMus

Re: Neumann reissues the U67
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:12:34 AM »

Any link or sources on this. Have heard nothing myself.

klaus

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:02:53 AM »

Nothing concrete yet, except this promo.
Never mind the power supply. The trick will be the tube: U67 are super picky: only NOS EF86 will do, and even then it has to be the right kind.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

aremos

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »

Klaus, I hope you do with the new 67 the type of examination you did with the 47Fet!
Was extremely informative & helped (aside from trying it in my studio of course) in my decision of purchasing it.

klaus

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »

You have my promise: as soon as U67 3.0 becomes available, I will do what I did with the U47fet reissue: take it apart, analyze, test it, and, most important, listen
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Jim Williams

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »

A line up of the parts used or changed would be informative. Resistors and caps have changed during the years.

David Satz

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »

This reissue was announced yesterday at NAMM. The price for the set (microphone, power supply, shock mount and cable in a padded carrying case) is about $7,000 US.

The "NU 67 V" power supply, which switches automatically between 110-120 VAC and 220-240 VAC operation, is said to be compatible with old as well as new U 67s, and can be bought separately for about $1,400 US. The UC 5 cable that goes from the microphone to the power supply is also available separately for about $340 US.

Some further details (and the closest close-up photo of a vacuum tube that I've ever seen) are on http://u67.neumann.com/.

--best regards

klaus

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 07:17:29 PM »

David,
You are right, the tube in the photo of the new mic is blindingly bright and almost too close for comfort. The tube's plate looks a bit like the old Tele EF86 with chrome plate, but I cannot see a logo, and doubt that Neumann would have shelled out mega bucks for NOS.

What's also curious looking at the pictures: though the mic still has the 30º offset connector pin configuration of the original, here, Binder connectors were used (Amphenol-Tuchel went out of business years ago) and they are not my favorite- the plastic holding the pins is not heat resistant and melts easily during soldering, plus the Binder self-cleaning contact system is primitive, compared to Tuchel's.

Binder does not make a connector with 30º offset pin configuration, so they modified their standard M2xx German broadcast connector by filling and covering its key channel and drilling a new one right next to it, so the connector lines up with the mic's key, putting pin #1 in line with the key, as is standard for U67.
I've seen this done by U67 owners who could not find original U67 Tuchel females, so they used broadcast Tuchels and filled the key channel with black epoxy.

Looking forward for a complete teardown of the real thing, if someone can loan me a mic for a week...

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Deuce 225

• Real Full Name: Tim Cochran
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 10:47:31 PM »

Looking forward to this review when the reissues become available.
Best,
Tim Cochran

www.tracehorse.com

AusTex64

• Real Full Name: Robert Mokry
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »

The EF86 in the pictures look very new. I’ve never seen a vintage EF86 that looked like that either. Sure am curious who made the tube. Good EF86 tubes have been hard to find for a while. If a manufacturer tooled up to make that tube, would be a great resource for guitar amps and mic preamps too.

Kai

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 03:55:46 PM »

As, during my long career, I never used an U67, how does its sound compare to the 1st generation of U87's?

klaus

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 04:39:44 PM »

The mic does not ship for a few weeks.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

aremos

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »

Someone posted this on another site stating it just might be the following:

www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/tung-sol-gold-ef86.html

Russian Tung-Sol?

klaus

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 10:35:16 PM »

Seems like it. They don't last and tend to sound opaque, compared to good NOS versions.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

David Satz

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 11:10:52 PM »

Kai, an important part of the progression from the U 67 to the U 87 was a change in the high-frequency compensation which the amplifier applied to the (on its own, somewhat bright-sounding) capsule. The U 67 amplifier's gain at 16 kHz is specified at 7 dB below its gain at 1 kHz, while the U 87 amplifier applied either 3 or 4 dB less high-frequency filtering, depending on which Neumann specification sheet you follow.

So even if that had been the only difference (which it wasn't), the U 87 presented a somewhat more "etched" / detailed / "hi fi" type of sound quality in all three patterns, as compared with the U 67.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.