R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a Neumann K47?  (Read 2983 times)

Nob Turner

Is this a Neumann K47?
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:11:06 PM »

There's a seller on eBay selling what they say are Neumann capsules. Is this a genuine Neumann K47 (they say it comes from a TLM49).

thanks.

klaus

Re: Is this a Neumann K47?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 12:36:37 PM »

Looks genuine, but the lead-out is not.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 08:24:34 AM »

Looks genuine, but the lead-out is not.

Would that imply, to you, a re-diaphragmed capsule? Or would someone have a reason to change only the lead-out wire?

David Satz

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »

I just wanted to point out that the TLM 49 is a single-pattern cardioid microphone, like the M 147 Tube and the U 47 fet. In those models the back half of the capsule has a purely acoustical function, and no electrical connection is required.

From a practical perspective, a dual-diaphragm capsule for a single-pattern cardioid microphone doesn't need to meet any very high standard for front/back response symmetry. It's mainly in the figure-8 setting that this matters (since any difference in front/back sensitivity causes the null to deviate from 90 degrees, thus making the microphone unsuitable for M/S or Blumlein stereo recording).

I don't know Neumann's current practices--they've gone through several twists and turns--but for some years at least, K 47/49-type capsules for single-pattern microphones were finished, QC'ed and stocked separately from the capsules for their switchable-pattern models. Unfortunately, the naming conventions have also varied over the years. As a result, the name printed on the box doesn't necessarily tell you everything that you need to know. It could take some extra effort to find out for certain what a given capsule actually is.

--best regards

klaus

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »

Would that imply, to you, a re-diaphragmed capsule? Or would someone have a reason to change only the lead-out wire?

No, it does not imply a rediaphragming took place, and on this specific example, it does not look like anything else but changing out the lead out wire was done.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

uwe ret

• Real Full Name: Uwe Sattler
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 11:02:08 PM »

Klaus, I hate to contradict in this case, but other than the terminal lug being bent just below the crimp, this looks very much like an original Neumann capsule. Also, as you know very well, only highly expert attempts at tampering with the center terminal will NOT leave wrinkles in the diaphragm. Also, the screw head looks pristine.

klaus

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 03:21:55 AM »

I had stated that the capsule is original Neumann, bu this would be the first time I've seen a lead out wire much smaller in diameter than the eyelet's cup, and of a different color customary for Neumann (which so far has either been yellow or red).

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.