R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio - mic pre amp / AD conversion - Ozzie idiot from live fm  (Read 5740 times)

John Marsden

• Real Full Name: John Marsden
Studio - mic pre amp / AD conversion - Ozzie idiot from live fm
« on: September 29, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »

Hi,
This is a studio gear question. I'm self taught live sound guy (3yrs pubs and clubs), but now want to do some home studio recording. I originally posted this on the live sound LAB Lounge forum and it was sensibly suggested to post here.

I am querying the best Mic pre amp and A/D convertor to use with my microphones.

Budget is low moderate – 5 to 600 dollars with some wiggle room maybe...

Music to record will be gentle  solo  Indie Folk with some Ambient sound / fills distant in the background. Home studio covered in carpet and soft material (a genuine fire hazard but sounds great)

I'm in Australia

Mics I have Rode NT 1 and Rode NT2A
Rode M1 (used for gigging)
Shure 57 and 58 gigs / drums / instruments
Beyerdynamic TGV 50d – quite nice mic.

So nothing superfi but still okay I feel

Mixers
Midas MR18 – just got and love it.
The Midas preamps are noticeably nice when I mix live sound compared to the Yamaha.
Yamaha MG16 usb analogue but with 2 track USB
(And Zoom R16 used for quick stuff in rehearsals but even I think the preamps on it are noisy)
And I have Zoom H6 – used for live recording.

Current interface - A/D convertor
Presonus 1818 VSL

My question is how to get the best mic preamp and A/D conversion within budget.

If I buy a mic pre amp say a DBX 580 it still has to go through the Presonus or Midas or Yamaha to get onto the computer.

Given where I'm at with gear is the presonus going to be good enough, or should I get a single channel pre amp A/D convertor – is there such a thing. Is that what the DBX 376 is. This may seem a stupid quiestion but how do I get the 'digital' signal from the 376 into my computer as the 376 has no USB on it. My presonous 1717 has adat and spidf (rca looking inputs) The 376 digital outs has an XLR and the spidf looks like an rca in the photo)

On the live forum the Audient ID14 or ID22 were suggested. ID14 looks nice but I like the idea of having some tubes in the preamp...

I'm not a gear dude – I just buy stuff for particular jobs and this is what I've got at present.

Thanks for reading. I'm okay if you tell me my current stuff is rubbish – I'd love all sorts of things but for now this is where it's at.

Cheers'
Thank you for any advice

Fletcher

Re: Studio - mic pre amp / AD conversion - Ozzie idiot from live fm
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »

The Personus should work for your requirements... I'd suggest you check out the FMR Audio "RMP" [Really Nice Pre-amp]... because its really nice.

Best of luck with it... please keep us up to date on how the session is going.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

John Marsden

• Real Full Name: John Marsden
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:59:48 PM »

Thank you Fletcher
I shall gravitate towards this. Maybe a birthday treat or similar....
My initial research conclusion is:
Get on with it and then see what I need when I need it. ...
All the best

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 01:56:48 AM »

Exactly!! 

Figure out where you'd like to hear something different... then find the tool that achieves the goal.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 22 queries.