R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Panning tricks  (Read 17382 times)

always_ending

• Real Full Name: Aaron D Mohler
Re: Panning tricks
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »

I love doing some of my mixes in LCR only. It really depends on the type of music, how dense the mix is, etc. but it can most assuredly sound great in both mono and stereo.

I mix on my nearfield JBL LSRs and a mono Mixcube, and only reference my headphones occasionally towards the time I feel almost "done" with a mix. I have never heard any "issues" that sound odd. I can however, quite clearly hear instruments in their own space in the mix every time. As I stated, this is wholly dependent on what your end results desired are as to whether or not that's a "good" thing to have everything clearly defined in their own space. some mixes benefit from "bleed" and those are the mixes that I will send a mono guitar's delay to the opposite side of where I pan the guitar. Usually, those mixes are the "lighter" ones for me that are not quite as densely populated by multiple elements playing at once, 2-4 elements. I find when there are 4-5 and up elements playing at once with things like "pads" and "fills" etc being played it's easy to give everything space with LCR panning.

Fletcher

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »

There are things I've heard [and things I've done] where you can have almost two entirely different arrangements of a song running on the left and the right... so long as they work together [and mono well] you're golden.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

always_ending

• Real Full Name: Aaron D Mohler
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »

There are things I've heard [and things I've done] where you can have almost two entirely different arrangements of a song running on the left and the right... so long as they work together [and mono well] you're golden.

Peace

Fletcher,

You mean you've processed 2 separate mixes of the same song to 2 mono feeds for your output? All instruments that are in one side of the mix are also in the other side, just processed differently?

That sounds interesting, can't say I've ever tried that one!

Fletcher

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »

Like there is a piano and guitar(s) on the left side that are playing the song and different guitar part(s) and a ____ and a ____ on the right side.  The song would hold up with either set without a struggle - and both sides work well together... but for all intents and purposes it could easily have been presented as either version of the song - the "left side song" or the "right side song".

There was one I did a while ago [maybe 15 or so years ago] where one side of the song was like an acoustic version of the song and the right side was like an electric version [with drums].  We actually did 3 separate mixes [just for fun] with one being an acoustic version, one being "rawk" version... and then the final mix that made the release.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

jdier

• Real Full Name: Jim Dier
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »

Like there is a piano and guitar(s) on the left side that are playing the song and different guitar part(s) and a ____ and a ____ on the right side.

I wish I could come up with a good example of this in a song.... I have heard it many time... maybe older stax stuff, maybe some beatles things...

I am know exactly what you are talking about, but wish I could post a link to a song that illustrates it.   
Jim Dier - Home Recordist

Almost everything I have recorded is here: R. Mutt and DW

I blog some here: Jim's Sound Lab

Fletcher

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »

I can't think of a great example of it either [at least not off the top of my pointed little head] but there are a ton of examples.  I think the majority of them occurred before the 80's when the left and right seemed to start to mirror each other more than having their own existence.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 24 queries.