R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann badges don't seem to fit?  (Read 4544 times)

mutterd

• Real Full Name: Timothy Herzog
Neumann badges don't seem to fit?
« on: July 04, 2017, 02:32:07 AM »

Hey Fellas, I could use some advice.

I got a set of new purple badges for my KM84's and for whatever reason they don't seem to sit flat against the body tube. its like the radius they are bent around is larger than the body of the mic - but they are definitely not the larger U87/U67 size. In reality - its more like they are just bent instead of properly formed to the radius.

I bought 3 badges and they were all the same - I contacted the distributer and returned them and they sent me 3 new ones, assured me they were for the KM84 sized body tube - but again - they were all the same as before, not quite right.

I have a black badge that came off one of my very early KM84's and it sits perfect, and on another late 70's one a purple that also sits perfect - but on these new ones if the middle is flush, each of the edges are raised about 1mm or 1/16"...

so there must be a trick to getting them radiused correctly - what are you guys doing?

also - is epoxy the best option?

thanks so much!
Timothy

klaus

Re: New small body Neumann badges don't seem to fit?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:02:50 AM »

Hello Tim,
From your description you may have received the flat-radius U87/A badges, rather than those with the more pronounced KM8x
I do not recommend trying to reshape the radius of Neumann badges: bending them evenly to sit flush on your housing tube can cause cracks in the aluminum.

Once you have made sure you have the correct ones, here are some tricks for mounting them: 

* First, do a trial-fit: carefully line up the badge's nipples with the two corresponding holes in the housing tube and press the badge into place.

* If everything looks nice and flush, put a dab of E6000 adhesive (http://eclecticproducts.com/products/e6000.html) on the center of the backside of the badge, and press the badge in place. If E6000 is not available, any type of adhesive that will come off without leaving a residue with do.

* Once the adhesive has set, use a round, fine metal file or Dremel tool grinding bit and file off the parts of the nipples that protrude into the housing tube; they are too long on current production badges to clear the amp's protective plastic cover, and will rip it, unless you file them flush with the surface of the housing tube.

Best of luck!
KH
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

uwe ret

• Real Full Name: Uwe Sattler
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 11:51:32 PM »

A badge is not listed as a spare part for the KM 83/84/85 models, but I believe the same logo badge is used for the models KMR 81/82, and that part number was 061474.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 01:37:33 AM »

The part Uwe cites should fit perfectly for all 21mm housing tubes (KM8x, KMR8x).
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

mutterd

• Real Full Name: Timothy Herzog
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 06:01:59 AM »

Hey guys,

thing is - I'm pretty sure thats what i have... i got 2 from Tom Onofrio, the other ones came from Sennheiser.

heres some photos - first is the original Black badge, second is the badge in question.

now i know its not much - but its enough to make the 2 that Tom O. glued on fall off in less than a week of handling...

klaus

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »

The badge shown in the second picture is the correct one for KM84, but because it was badly fitted, it is not flush with the housing in the center, making it stick out at the edges even more.
(The nipples may not have been properly aligned and seated inside the holes, causing them to bend or compress to the point they won't fit through the holes anymore.)

I would start from scratch: remove the badge and all glue residue from it and its corresponding housing surfaces, reshape the nipples if necessary with an xacto knife, do a trial-fit as outlined in my earlier post, then re-glue.

Done. Alleluia! Time to record!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.