R/E/P > Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab

The Myth of the Accurate Microphone

<< < (33/34) > >>

klaus:
Understood and agreed.

So the summation is still this: in the absence of accurate mics and all other accurate components in the recording chain (don't even get me started on digital processing!), good engineers with good ears and experience choose recording tools that translate their idea of best representation of the music. Whereby "best" could be translated as "most emotionally impactful for the listener in a positive way".

It's quite revealing to realize how few of these recording tools we keep coming back to, regardless of type of music to be recorded. And how universal our esthetic therefore must be.

soapfoot:

--- Quote from: Timtape on January 14, 2018, 09:52:45 AM ---Brad seemed to imply EQ has such a deleterious effect on the sound that it's best to avoid its use by instead "EQing with the mic".

--- End quote ---

I certainly regret if I seemed to imply that.

EQ doesn't necessarily have a "deleterious" effect, but it does have a host of effects, some intended, some unintended.

I am certainly unafraid to use an EQ if it's what I want. But it doesn't substitute for choosing the right microphone, in my opinion.

Equalization is a useful tool. It is not, however, a panacea, nor is it a substitute for an appropriate mic choice (and placement).

Timtape:

--- Quote from: soapfoot on January 14, 2018, 07:27:32 PM ---
Equalization is a useful tool. It is not, however, a panacea, nor is it a substitute for an appropriate mic choice (and placement).

--- End quote ---
Agreed. But some performers (perhaps especially those unskilled in audio production) seem to wish for the reverse:  a mic that "does it all for me", a mic that is  a panacea or substitute for every production process that takes place downstream of the mic.

A mic that has been "personalised to the sound of my voice" might be very attractive to a performer who  knows or cares little more about audio than the microphone they sing into...

klaus:

--- Quote from: Timtape on January 15, 2018, 02:38:11 AM ---A mic that has been "personalized to the sound of my voice" might be very attractive to a performer who knows or cares little more about audio than the microphone they sing into...

--- End quote ---
What does "cares little more about audio than" mean? Someone who cares little, or who cares more?

Actually, re-reading this sentence in full, I admit, I don't understand at all what you are trying to say.
Can you rephrase please?

Timtape:
OK will have another try.
I'm sure the said performers do care very much that the end result is excellent but not being experts in audio production they have to trust that the audio personnel they deal with are experts in their field, will give them sound, reliable advice and aren't taking advantage of the performer's weaker knowledge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version