R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable for Sony DMR-2000 <=> DTA2000 error analyser  (Read 8960 times)

DML

• Real Full Name: Brett Crossley
Cable for Sony DMR-2000 <=> DTA2000 error analyser
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:00:39 AM »

Hi folks, we are setting up a Sony PCM-1630 playback rig for Archival work.  We have a PCM-1630, DMR-2000 and the DTA-2000 error checking unit.

However there is a cable which connects the DMR-2000 and the DTA-2000 which we don't have, and getting information about it seems very difficult.  It's a 33-pin black plastic body connector (DMR-2000 remote) to 36-pin Amphenol  (DTA-2000 'VTR' connector).  All we have is the attached pic - someone has chopped the original cable.

The manuals for the DMR and DTA both have 'pin assignment' tables but no actual cable interconnection diagram, and it's impossible to determine which logic line from the DMR should connect to whichever one on the DTA.

Wondering if (a) anyone might have a cable they could sell us, or (b) a working cable that we could copy the connections from.  We can operate the system without it, but it is needed for the DTA to display timecode during spooling.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Re: Cable for Sony DMR-2000 <=> DTA2000 error analyser
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:19:49 AM »

It's been so long since I had a DTA, wish I could remember the cable.  You're going to need it if you're playing old PCM tapes.
Good luck, maybe one of the old-timers could recall.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

truff

• Real Full Name: Tom Ruff
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »

The DTA connects to the status port on the 1630, using a 25 pin to 25 pin cable.

Good luck!

curly

DML

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:40 PM »

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.  Yes this is 'old timer' territory, and I guess that makes me one!

To clarify: we need the cable that connects the DMR-2000 to the DTA-2000; it's shown in the DTA manual as Sony part number 1-558-117-11 'Cord with Connectors (33-36)'.  One end is as per my photo; the other is 36-pin Amphenol. 

We don't need the Cannon-D Status cable or anything else.  Or the DMR-4000 to DTA cable; that's a standard Amphenol which makes life easy for DMR-4000 users!

I'm hoping that an existing Mastering facility using DMR-2000's (not 4000's) can help.

tomruff

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure the DTA status port connects to the 1630 not the 2000.  The only connection between 2000 and DTA would be for timecode.

curly

DML

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »

Hi folks, we are still searching.  The required cable has a 33-pin connector as per the photo, and a 36-pin Amphenol at the other end.  It is needed for the DTA-2000 to display timecode during spooling, but also so that the DTA can control the DMR-2000 to cue it up etc.  You can run without it, but it's a bit messy.

Hoping that a mastering facility with DTA-2000 and DMR-2000 will be familiar with this.  Is there anybody out there?  Cheers - Brett.

truff

• Real Full Name: Tom Ruff
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »

We only have DMR-4000s here, but as I recall an advantage of the DMR-2000 vs the DMR-4000 was that while fast spooling on the 2000 the tape is unthreaded from the transport path.  This was more kind to tapes but I believe might also mean no TC while fast winding.

Have you tried reaching out to Sony Music Studios or maybe one of the DADC plants?

As you are probably aware, you can still program start and stop points on the DTA that will read off the TC XLR in.  We do this for our 1630 archival transfers.

I suspect there aren't many of us left with working 1630 systems.  I'm curious as to how many tapes you have to transfer?  Most labels here seem to have made transfers to audio files already.

Best,

curly

DML

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 01:59:46 AM »

Hey Tom, yes I believe you are right, the DMR-2000 unthreads for faster spooling.  I don't recall if it reads code while spooling; probably just CTL track.

I was the Creative Department manager at Sony DADC Australia, there for 12 years before I had to step down due to health reasons.  Most of my 1630 stuff comes from there, which is why it's frustrating trying to find this cable; I installed it and it was in situ and working until a couple of years ago when the building sustained water damage and the older mastering rooms were decommissioned. 

I deal with people who still have the odd 1630 (or 501/701 etc; often they don't know the difference).  There's also some record companies etc who still throw the odd request.  As part of our policy to have 'one of everything', I'm trying to nail this in my spare time.

I might try some of the other plants.  Thanks for the idea.  Cheers - Brett.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.