R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Skinny on Skins  (Read 3207 times)

klaus

More Skinny on Skins
« on: November 04, 2016, 06:16:16 PM »

From today's inbox:

On 2016-11-04 12:38, Richard Kaufman wrote:

I've found  (a U47) that I'm interested in, but there's a catch - it has a k47 capsule that has just been recoated with mylar. This has confused me slightly, because I had thought that it was the m7 capsule coated with plastic/pvc which has issues with aging.

Neumann's K47 capsules, which replaced their PVC M7 in 1959, are still made today and always were, and still are, using Mylar diaphragms, which never age.

Please could you tell me:

1) does the mylar coating on the k47 capsule also need to be recoated from time to time or is it impervious to aging?

It's impervious to aging. Re-diaphragming of Mylar capsules is only done to line the pockets of unscrupulous businesses who take advantage of the ignorance of mic owners.

2) will a recoated k47 capsule sound very different from one that hasn't been recoated - in the same that I've read a m7 that's been recoated will?

A re-diaphragmed Neumann capsule will not only sound different, but it will always sound worse. No one knows how it's done right, and Neumann, which knows, does not tell.

3) how easy is it to find an original k47 capsule that hasn't been recoated?

Not easy but also not impossible. Keep checking eBay, and read the descriptions VERY carefully, so you don't get taken advantage of.

If this subject has already been covered in an online discussion forum, then please point me in that direction to save you from repeating yourself and others.

It's been covered here many times, and from many different angles, but I realize it needs periodic revisiting so people don't get taken to the cleaners.

Many thanks Klaus,

Richard

P.S I'd be happy for you to repost this in an online forum if you wish.

Hereby done.
KH

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Avgatzeblouz

• Real Full Name: Manuel MARIE
Re: More Skinny on Skins
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »

Hi Klaus, and thanks for sharing this with us. I wonder, though, why you didn't you point the current Neumann K49 production? If my understanding is right, it is the same as it was years ago, isn't it ?

klaus

Re: More Skinny on Skins
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »

Sorry, but I thought I implied that with my first answer. I have added wording to the effect that K47/K49 are still made by Neumann.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.