R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What R/E/P looked like in 1982 [and 1983]  (Read 4643 times)

Fletcher

What R/E/P looked like in 1982 [and 1983]
« on: October 28, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Recording-Engineer/80s/Recording-1982-12.pdf  [Part 1]
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Recording-Engineer/80s/Recording-1983-02.pdf [Part 2]

I dare say over the past decade MIX & EQ combined have not disseminated this much information... damn fine read if you're actually into "audio".

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

• Real Full Name: John Scrip
Re: What R/E/P looked like in 1982 [and 1983]
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »

Oh lord - The ads alone.  [cue "Memories" and.... GO!]

[EDIT] Polyline!!!  And with a 312 area code!!! [/EDIT]
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Jim Williams

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »

Don't forget the honest product reviews. I was honored to write a few for them. No reprints from the ad departments, I would use my Audio Precision analyzer to find the hidden warts. Some of the gear makers weren't too happy about that exposure. The readers loved it.

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 03:11:23 AM »

Firstly, thank you for posting this. My introduction to REP was through several back issues that were laying around at a TV studio I was working at back in 84. I pinched them and read them until they fell apart. Secondly, as probably the only non-engineer to frequent this forum I want to thank you guys for being here. You have absolutely made a profound difference in my ability to make a living and take care of my family. Not just by giving me information, but also by inspiring my curiosity. More importantly, REP in both printed and online incarnations, allowed me to begin to separate the fact from the fantasy, the serum from the snake oil. Having access to that magazine at that point in my career where I was transitioning from a film and sprocket world to the all electronic future, forever changed my thought process and my understanding of what it really took to make good audio. So there you go... Y'all be well. 
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.