R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure Ksm32 - condenser capsule  (Read 10244 times)

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
Re: Shure Ksm32 - condenser capsule
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 04:08:21 PM »

Don't forget that Shure will replace the KSM32 for a flat fee of $96, at least here in the US.
Thanks... but i live in Brazil :-\... we pay MUCH more for less... taxes are VERY VERY VERY abusive.  :'(

Jim Williams

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »

The CK12 nylon capsule has excellent low end, I get 5 hz out of them easily. Wave those mics in the air and a DC coupled playback system will have the woofers follow the motion.

I suspect a too small input coupling cap or something else rather than that capsule. Polarize the back plate and the input blocking cap can be shorted out.

radiovinhet

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 10:52:53 AM »

Jim

I will try to replace the cap... but the hum  is back... tried 10 differente preamps and i getting 60 Hz humm...

Kai

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 06:55:14 PM »

I will try to replace the cap... but the hum  is back... tried 10 differente preamps and i getting 60 Hz humm...
Because the hum is not related to C11, but to some grounding issues with metal parts of the microphone.
Wrap it in aluminum foil (simple test) and the hum will be gone.
Is the filter cap for the polarization voltage connected correctly (GND) and of sufficient size?

Shure refused to send a service manual to me, so it's hard to tell where the low range is filtered.
Have a look at the input stage, it should be very high input resistance (>60MOhm) built around a FET. If not, as mentioned above, the original capsule might have an amplifier built into. Is a wire with supply voltage going to the capsule?
A coupling cap would needs to be very small (<100pF) to affect the low frequency response, as the capsule itself is around 60pF.

Jim Williams

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 01:23:36 PM »

You should check the metal parts with a continuity setting on a DVM. All the outside metal parts should show an ohm or less resistance to ground. If the head assembly or body is made of plastic you know why it hums. I have a cheapo Behringer C1 mic with plastic parts, it also hums because of that.

Lining the interior with copper foil or even guitar grounding paint could help if the screening is lacking.

Every room should have a DVM. You can get one for free at Harbor Freight sometimes. Otherwise it's about 5 bucks.

If the Shure body/design doesn't work out, a cheapo 50 buck donor mic could use that capsule. I have a bunch of older MCA SP-1 mics I bought for 40 bucks, those worked out great, some of my fav's.

radiovinhet

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »

C11 cap - shure don't gave me value... i put a  1000uF, before trying other values.
I've installed a k103 capsule from Neumann, it's very very bright/thin sound. But i think that this "frankenstein" mic it will be useful someday.
The lesson: akg c3000, c4000, shure and audio technica eletrect mics can use a real condenser capsule, it's easy!

Thanks for all your support.

Jim Williams

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »

If you polarize the back plate you can short out that coupling cap to the jfet gate.

radiovinhet

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »

Thanks, will try it!

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 08:49:41 AM »

(The stock KSM32 makes for a pretty nice kick drum mic. Best application for it I think, and way better at it than many mics designed specifically for kick.

Not that it's a horrible mic or anything, just have a lot better mics around, so it doesn't get used as much.)

Jim Williams

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »

Thanks, will try it!

Remember to reverse the pin 2 and 3 on the outputs as that will invert the polarity.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.