R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: May I Recommend A Tape Op Interview?  (Read 3371 times)

klaus

May I Recommend A Tape Op Interview?
« on: July 06, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »

Just finished reading Brad Allen Williams' excellent Tape Op interview with Scott Hull, the senior LP mastering engineer at Masterdisk. (Brad frequently posts here as "Soapfoot")

I have rarely been so well informed in such short amount of time about a subject I knew little about: the LP-cutting process, and what it takes to do it well. I learned that a good LP mastering engineer must consider many variables and weigh trade-offs in order to manufacture a low-noise, undistorted LP. Brad's intelligent questions, and Scott's illuminating answers are refreshing. No fluff or self aggrandizement to be found anywhere, just humble professionalism.

The interview also reinforces a truth worth considering in the current digital information explosion: The internet cannot deliver wisdom. That remains the exclusive domain of extensive personal experience, intelligently applied.

Read the interview online (full length only available to Tape Op subscribers- but it's a free subscription), and you will agree that, even if you'll never issue a vinyl LP, to learn what a dedicated, passionate mastering engineer has to say about the subject can be thoroughly inspiring.

http://tapeop.com/interviews/113/scott-hull/
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

ratite

Re: May I Recommend A Tape Op Interview?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:54:56 AM »

Totally agree Klaus.Having read it I've had a few discussions with clients about their past/current/future vinyl experiences and I felt I could pass on the kind of advice on the subject I'd not met before.Apparently there's only one place that cuts in the whole of Japan,and it is said to be very conservative in approach.

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »

Thank you so much for those kind words.

So many independent artists I work with (or am just acquainted with) have it occur to them that they want to do vinyl, so I get a lot of texts asking "hey Brad, I'm thinking I might want to do vinyl of my record also... where's the best place to go to get vinyl made?" Then I have to take a deep breath, and text back "well, a phone call is better..."

Selfishly, I just wanted to ask the right questions to the right person so I'd have something I could refer people to and say "here, read this!"

It has been incredibly well-received. I'm happy about this. My somewhat-naive hope is that it will make the world of independent vinyl releases a slightly better-sounding place.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »

I think you succeeded in your quest!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.