R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Neumann Capsule in DiY U47 Tube ?  (Read 10795 times)

Avgatzeblouz

• Real Full Name: Manuel MARIE
Which Neumann Capsule in DiY U47 Tube ?
« on: July 06, 2016, 12:29:17 PM »

Hi everyone,
after browsing this forum and others, I thought I'd rather ask : I'm about to build a DIY U47, and want the best capsule possible. Apparently, from Klaus and others, The current K49 from Neumann is the best thing money can buy. But, I think I understood that you can put a K47fet as well, as the only difference is "K47fet is structurally identical to the K47/49 except for lack of precision matching of both capacitances to within a few picofarad, which is preferable on dual-address mics with variable patterns.". But by how much preferable is that ? Will I even hear a difference ? I'm waiting for the price of the K47fet, cause the K49 is steep !

Thanks a lot !

klaus

Re: K47fet in DiY U47 Tube ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:27:31 PM »

I have been buying Neumann's K47/49/fet47 capsules from Neumann for many years.

I can tell you from experience: their quality control and manufacturing tolerances are so good that it makes this an entirely academic subject:
Buy whatever is the cheapest K47/49 capsule at the moment- it won't make any qualitative difference!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 01:33:26 PM »

Thank you very much ! Can we expect the same quality as being the best for all their current capsules (K67, K87, etc...) compared to all clones/reskinned ones ?

And I'm adding that I had an answer from Sennheiser Canada, they're offering the K47fet and K49fet for almost the same price, way less than the K49. So why do they have just the K49, but kept 2 "FET" models ?

klaus

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »

I cannot answer your second question. It may have something to do with certain models not utilizing the rear side at all.  But pricing of Neumann LD capsules has often been illogical. For a time, the K47fet was more expensive than the K47... Other times, a K47 was more expensive than a K49. Through the years though, the K49 was usually priced higher than the rest.

Yes, despite audible, sometimes frustrating, variations of their current issue K67/870/87, we can still expect Neumann quality to be audibly superior to any aftermarket capsule or reskinning offering, regardless of provenance. Capsule and transformer manufacturing remain the last area of expertise by legacy companies like Neumann, that do not lend themselves to easy reverse-engineering, like most other microphone parts do.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
Re: Which Neumann Capsule in DiY U47 Tube ?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »

Isn't it the case that one of the sides on the k47 FET capsule isn't wired up? Maybe the 49 FET version too? Otherwise identical.

klaus

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 05:02:23 PM »

Correct, the rear side of the K47fet has no wire attached to the eyelet held down by the center screw, but is otherwise ready to go.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

radardoug

• Real Full Name: Doug Jane
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »

The rear side normally has a diaphragm with no gold on it.

David Satz

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »

Klaus, at least during the Gotham Audio years, the discount which Neumann granted their distributors was a function of the quantity of each particular item ordered annually. The K 47fet has only ever been used in two microphone models, neither of which has been a real world-beater in terms of sales. So it's not entirely surprising if replacement capsules of this type might sometimes carry a higher retail price tag than the K 47/49, which costs somewhat more to manufacture but is needed more often.

--best regards

klaus

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 04:35:20 AM »

The rear side normally has a diaphragm with no gold on it.
That is not the case with the K47fet capsule. It is a fully-functioning multi-pattern capsule, with sputtering on both sides. Once you connect a rear lead, you can use it in any mic that is designed for K47/49 capsules.

The K 47fet has only ever been used in two microphone models, neither of which has been a real world-beater in terms of sales. So it's not entirely surprising if replacement capsules of this type might sometimes carry a higher retail price tag than the K 47/49, which costs somewhat more to manufacture but is needed more often.

A logical conclusion, upended by the fact that until about 5-10 years ago, the K47fet was usually about $100 cheaper (wholesale price).
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 03:09:39 PM »

Correct, the rear side of the K47fet has no wire attached to the eyelet held down by the center screw, but is otherwise ready to go.

So how hard would it be for an experienced tech to wire the backplate ? Don't wanna save the 200$ if the risk is too big.

klaus

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 09:57:04 PM »

All you need is a firm support for the capsule, a calm hand, and a correctly-sized screwdriver. No additional parts needed.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »

Thought I would post the information I had from Sennheiser Canada regarding this strange capsule, called the K49FET. Remember I could buy the K47FET as well, for the same price. The K47 is not there anymore, replaced by the K49, we know that.
FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND (I want this to be clear), the K49FET is a K47FET, but with the wires installed to achieve multi-pattern. Looking at the answers from the parts sales contact I had, this seem to be the only difference. Which is great news to me, by the way.
I tried to register at Neumann website to ask for a confirmation, but the registration process seems broken.

Cheers,
Manuel.

klaus

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 02:14:13 PM »

That the K49fet is a K47fet with rear lead outs makes little sense, because then the capsule would be a K47/49. (Neumann does not sell or install second-tier quality capsules with the same functionality as first-tier ones.)

I also checked all currently-made Neumann transistor mics, and none uses a capsule called "K49" that would be in the K47/49 family, yet requiring its own sub-version designation (edge-terminated new capsule designs, as used in TLM102, 107, not included).

I will contact Neumann after the Holiday and post all currently-made single-backplate, "K47 type" capsules Neumann has available for sale.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »

Yes, I find it weird too. The salesman did not seem really aware. I will wait for your report before making rhe purchase, then. To help you helping me, here is the info I have :

K49FET : ITEM# 514753 (Senn. Canada)
K47FET : ITEM# 053223 (Senn. Canada)
K49 : ITEM# 053291 (Senn. UK)

Cheers,
Manuel.

usattler

• Real Full Name: Uwe Sattler
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 11:38:32 AM »

I have never heard of a K49fet, but I have been retired from the position of Technical Director at Neumann|USA for nearly 3 years.
To the best of my knowledge, these are the currently available large diaphragm capsules of the U47 to U87 lineage:

Capsule designation        Part Number          used in mic models
K47/49                          053291                 M149, U47, M49, U497
K47fet                           053223                 M147 tube, U47 fet
K870/67                        053225                 U87A, U67, M269, U77, U87 Gold, U87 Anniversary, TLM67
K87                               053224                 U87
K870/67 (selected pair)  071788                 SM60, USM69, QM69

Memory being what it is, this list makes no claim to be complete though... For current prices please contact your Neumann Service Center.
Uwe Sattler
Technical Director - Neumann|USA (retired)

klaus

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 06:34:24 PM »

Checked with Neumann: No K49fet, but maybe the poster mixed it up with this one:

Part # 514753 K47 FET  (TLM49) 
v.s.
Part # 053223 K47 FET (U47 FET)

According to Neumann, they both seem to be identical, though the latter is about $20 more expensive.
(Who was it who made fun of Neumann's capsule pricing on this fine forum before?)
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 10:08:35 PM »

Thanks a lot for this ! I actually called Sennheiser USA and emailed Neumann, and no one got in touch with me... I'm glad you are here. So this could be it, this "K49FET'", could be a "K47FET" with the backplate wired, as the TLM49 is leaning towards hypercardioid, when the U47FET is not. Could that be the explanation ?

klaus

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 01:41:47 AM »

They were both explained to me as being identical in function and design.
So your assumption is either based on your superior fact finding abilities, compared to what I could accomplish, or is erroneous.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Kai

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 06:20:18 AM »

They were both explained to me as being identical ...
In fact the Neumann published polar diagrams of the U47fet  show a hypercardioid,  the U87 and others a cardiod pattern.

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 07:46:06 AM »

They were both explained to me as being identical in function and design.
So your assumption is either based on your superior fact finding abilities, compared to what I could accomplish, or is erroneous.

Well I'm just trying to guess why they have two identical parts with different number. But as much as I wish I had those abilities, even more I rely on your expertise. I guess I will buy it, and I could post pictures on this thread, if anyone is interested.

klaus

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »

In fact the Neumann published polar diagrams of the U47fet  show a hypercardioid, the U87 and others a cardiod pattern.
This discussion focuses not on Braunmühl-Weber double backplate capsules, as used in U87, but on single-backplate, K47-types.
Both types are incompatible in their polar and frequency responses.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 08:53:33 PM »

So I went to Sennheiser Canada today, and guess what was in stock ? A K47fet ! Now I "just have" to install a wire on the rear side. Let us stay calm...
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.