R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann km56c screws  (Read 3290 times)

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
Neumann km56c screws
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:38:52 PM »

Greetings.  This is my first post, though I've been an appreciative viewer for many years.  I'd like to say a big thank you to Klaus and to the rest of the valued community here.

Now to my question.  I have a km56c that sounds beautiful.  Recently, when tearing down a session, as I attempted to remove the rather snug cable from the base of the km65, I actually pulled the amplifier body out of the shell.  I managed to get it back together, and I tested the pattern selector, and all is working fine.  One of the two screws that prevent the housing from sliding off was always missing, and the second (and only) one had worked its way in enough that it allowed this to happen.

I'd like to know if anyone has a lead on screws that I could use as replacements.

Thanks in advance,

John

klaus

Re: Neumann km56c screws
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 03:43:01 AM »

What you need for the KM56 and other vintage KM mics is a "Madenschraube" now called a "Gewindestift" (could not find a picture without point and with reduced head. This screw has a 1mm deep slotted, threadless head section whose diameter is slightly reduced, compared to the diameter of the threaded section, so that it fits exactly into the hole in the housing tube when turned counterclockwise, thereby holding the tube in place

Last time I checked, Neumann still had a few of them. Send a nice email (and I mean NICE) to: [email protected] in Berlin, and I am pretty sure help can be found.

If not, I have made them myself on the stationary Dremel drill press: get the right metric thread size, and cut it 1 mm down from the top with a diamond Dremel cutting wheel, to reduce its head slightly, then slot it with a thin metal saw, then cut its length to size.

Of course, this only applies to the spirited do-it-yourselfer!

Best of luck,
KH

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

AusTex64

• Real Full Name: Robert Mokry
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 02:58:55 PM »

I just bought some small screws for mic building from these people http://www.microfasteners.com/

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 01:06:07 AM »

Thank you, gentlemen.  I've just sent an extremely pleasant email to that address at Neumann. 

Noah Scot Snyder

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »

I recently acquired a Z29 pad for my km54 and it needed two such screws to attach to the body of the km54. I tried Neumann and they said they had none (perhaps I was not nice enough, though I'm generally pretty polite when I'm asking for something). I eventually had to have them machined in Germany by the kind folks who sold it to me. It was quite a mission. Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.