R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U47 'Breath Test' what does it mean? How to improve my U47  (Read 2808 times)

Schenkjan

U47 'Breath Test' what does it mean? How to improve my U47
« on: February 28, 2016, 03:11:53 PM »

I have a U47 with a K47 capsule that doesn't pass the breath test. Since i never have singers move up super close to the mic, it has not been a problem per se yet. However, the mic does seem a little less clear in the high mids then it could/should.
As the mic is now, when i do vocals i try both my reskinned (thiersch) and Oliver Archut modded CMV 563 with M7 and the U47, and often the CMV gets the job. I mean this can just be how it is, but somehow i feel the U47 is in as good a state as it should be.

What are the consequences of a capsule not passing the breath test? Please advice!
Jan Schenk

Uwe

Re: U47 'Breath Test' what does it mean? How to improve my U47
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »

If your microphone fails the breath test it probably has a capsule with build-up of contamination, typically dust and/or smoke (smog) deposits, sometimes incorrectly referred to as 'nicotine' residue. The moisture from close breath does combine with these deposits to provide an undesirable discharge path across the very high impedance capsule, thereby creating the typical frying and popping sound. If the noise diminishes once the humidity has dissipated, a (highly) experienced microphone technician may be able to restore proper operation by carefully cleaning the diaphragm(s) and surrounding high impedance areas.
If the noise is more permanent and often accompanied by drop-outs when the microphone subjected to high soundpressure, then the capsule is likely to exhibit other forms of deterioration. If it is an original M7 capsule with its gold sputtered PVC diaphragm air pollution is likely to have deteriorated the PVC material, which may have caused it to appear milky and brittle, perhaps even to a point where the gold film get partially detached. Attempts at cleaning such specimen are pointless, and the only proper remedy would be replacement of the capsule with the current K49 and the corresponding mounting hardware kit. IMHO an original Neumann K49 is much closer in acoustic and electronic properties to the M7 than any reskinned or cloned M7.

klaus

Re: U47 'Breath Test' what does it mean? How to improve my U47
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »

IMHO an original Neumann K49 is much closer in acoustic and electronic properties to the M7 than any reskinned or cloned M7.

No question about it. None of the copy capsules or rediaphragming efforts available so far have come close to Neumann quality and timbre.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.