R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1µ diaphragms are back!!!!  (Read 7893 times)

Recording Engineer

• Real Full Name: Weston Ray
Re: 1µ diaphragms are back!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 01:11:41 PM »

Thanks for the reminder... Unfortunately, I'm just some poor chap who pays the same as most everyone else on everything...

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »

I didn't wan to mention the name of the company, but you guys seemed to figure it out.  As far as the sound in between the drop outs, it's hard to say.  I was at NAMM, and using unfamiliar headphones.  All I could tell was that it was not too spitty on the dual backplate capsules.

I was a little annoyed with the owner of the company, though.  If there's anything that drives me nuts, it's people who don't know about their product.  I found out that the mic was solid state, so I asked him if its transformer less.  He said yes.  I followed up with asking which FET he's using.  "Trade secret."  OK, then can you tell me how you're converting the capsule impedance?  Is it an emitter follower?  "That's a trade secret, but if you want to buy one and open it up, you're welcome to."

"Trade secret" is usually trade show speak for "I have no idea what I'm talking about."  I went through this with the Inner Tube folks a few years back, and they became hostile when I started asking technical questions they couldn't answer.  Just say, "Somebody else designed the circuit for me, and he's not here to answer your questions."

duskb

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 12:32:43 PM »

I didn't wan to mention the name of the company, but you guys seemed to figure it out.  As far as the sound in between the drop outs, it's hard to say.  I was at NAMM, and using unfamiliar headphones.  All I could tell was that it was not too spitty on the dual backplate capsules.

I don't know how you could hear anything there. I stopped by a booth and looked over a new mic made in England that looked like it could survive a nuclear blast and to be honest I couldn't hear squat it was so damned loud. The trade show circuit seem to be much louder than I recall in the 90's.

What somewhat annoys me about these '47' inspired remakes is that they seem to miss the influence of the most important part of that mic, the amplifier. Switching the skins is just a mod, changing the amp turns it into a totally different beast. Even the EF equipped Flea 47, which is not a bad sounding mic at all, sounds different than an original. I really can't see how switching the amplifier and expecting near or similar results is very fair to the end user. It almost seems like fraud. I know they're hard to get these days but still.

I haven't heard a UF equipped mic yet so I can't speak to how different that sounds. Maybe it's shades of grey at that point.
----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Technical Services/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com

klaus

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »

Maybe shades of gray, but shades that are markedly off from the original can be had at a heavy discount.

I think though, the color analogy would be imperfect unless you also attached the level of emotional satisfaction to the hue.
And in that sense, a UF14 is as far off from a VF14 as an EF14 is.

The old rule applies: achieving the last few bits towards perfection takes a disproportional amount of effort (and money).
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.