R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gefell UMT800 repair  (Read 4074 times)

buzallen71

• Real Full Name: Brian Allen
Gefell UMT800 repair
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:32:07 PM »

Is anyone aware of a US location to repair a gefell UMT800 mic?

Thanks,
Brian

klaus

Re: Gefell UMT800 repair
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:36:53 AM »

My information may not be up-to-date, but I was under the impression that MG has not appointed a factory-authorized service facility in the United States as of yet.

But I those who sent an MG mic to Gefell for repair gave mostly positive reviews, as far as speed, quality and cost of the repair are concerned.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

buzallen71

• Real Full Name: Brian Allen
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 02:06:56 PM »

Thanks Klaus.  I'll reach out to them.

John Willett

• Real Full Name: John Willett
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 06:59:58 AM »

Yes, MG ask that all microphones go back to them for repair.

They then put them back in the anechoic chamber and measure them to make sure that they are fully up to spec.

I think there is a Gefell dealer in the USA that collects any microphones in need of repair and sends them back toGefell as a consodated shipment to save carriage costs and to make getting them back into the USA easier.

Sorry, I do not know which dealer it is, I'm afraid.

sdelsolray

• Real Full Name: Steve Boyke
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »

Yes, MG ask that all microphones go back to them for repair.

They then put them back in the anechoic chamber and measure them to make sure that they are fully up to spec.

I think there is a Gefell dealer in the USA that collects any microphones in need of repair and sends them back toGefell as a consodated shipment to save carriage costs and to make getting them back into the USA easier.

Sorry, I do not know which dealer it is, I'm afraid.

That dealer was Mercenary.  I sent a pair of Gefell M294 through them back to Gefell about eight years ago.  No problem, other that the upcharge Mercenary charged for their logistical service.  I sent a pair of Gefell M296 through Mercenary to Gefell in 2014.  I almost didn't get them back from Mercenary...delays, excuses, etc., after Gefell stated they had been serviced and shipped back to Mercenary months before.  I finally got them, fortunately, a few months before Mercenary closed its doors.

hasbeen

• Real Full Name: Troy Douglas Sutler III
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 08:19:16 PM »

There is an authorized shop called DSP Doctor that takes care of sending mics to Gefell for repair. I am looking for others to add to mine to make shipping a little less painful.

Shipping round trip would be around $175 via FED-EX international. This includes return shipping to you once the repairs arrive back to them. The lead time on all MG repair work, can range between 8-14 weeks, but possibly earlier.

Please PM me if interested.
Who Is John Galt?

klaus

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »

What is the markup of the shipping service "DSP Doctor" charges? I wonder whether it makes financial sense to use that service compared to contracting directly with Fed Ex.

I am less and less enthused with Fed Ex as shipper for us poor mortals. While reliable and easier trackable than USPS, they keep raising fees year after year.

For a fraction of Fed Ex charges I can ship with USPS. And in thirty years of shipping from and to Germany I have never had a claim.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

hasbeen

• Real Full Name: Troy Douglas Sutler III
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »

What is the markup of the shipping service "DSP Doctor" charges? I wonder whether it makes financial sense to use that service compared to contracting directly with Fed Ex.

I am less and less enthused with Fed Ex as shipper for us poor mortals. While reliable and easier trackable than USPS, they keep raising fees year after year.

For a fraction of Fed Ex charges I can ship with USPS. And in thirty years of shipping from and to Germany I have never had a claim.

The info I printed is a direct quote from DSP Doctor. It has been a few months though, as I have been hoping to find some other Gefell owners to split the cost. DSP Doctor is located outside of Boston so no problem for me to drop off there.

I agree that other sources offer lower shipping costs but I guess they have found FedEx the best choice for their needs.
Who Is John Galt?

Jim Williams

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 02:16:37 PM »

I use Express Post for international shipping as well. Reliable, low cost, no custom's broker fees, etc.

For domestic, I use UPS unless the customer specifies another carrier. The reason is damage claims. I always get a damage claim from UPS IF the item was packed properly.

I've never got a dime from FedEx after over 30 years. They always have their backup excuse to not pay, "the item was too fragile to ship". That happened on a Neumann U-47 tube mic they refused to pay on even though the inspector claimed it was packed properly (triple boxed in this case).

I watched "Castaway" for therapy.

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 01:27:14 AM »

Apparently, many times when shipping with Fed Ex - especially for out of country service - stints of the travel are in fact handled by USPS. Fed Ex contracts the USPS to fill in various gaps in their service network.

I've also noticed that the online tracking for the USPS has gotten better, though Fed Ex keeps upping the ante in that department.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.