R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 10 1/2 inch reel flanges  (Read 3108 times)

StereoNut

• Real Full Name: Peter K. LAU
Studer 10 1/2 inch reel flanges
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »

Hi,
First of all, I am a newbie to this site and wish to learn from a professional August group such as yours, thank you.
I brought 2 Studer 10 1/2" flanges from eBay and thought all I need to do is to unscrew my existing reels and reassemble the new flanges. I didn't read thoroughly the description of the sales and the buyer says it will fit hubs with 6 screw holes.
After checking out all my 10 1/2 inch tapes ( over 600 reels ), I found all my reels are of the 3 screws type!
Please advice where I can obtain a hub with 6 screw holes and why do Studer/Revox make hubs with different screw hole spacings?
Thank you in advance with any help I can get.
Yours sincerely,
Peter Lau

Fletcher

Re: Studer 10 1/2 inch reel flanges
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 02:04:02 AM »

I'm honestly not familiar with Studier having a different screw standard than the rest of the reels out there... perhaps you should contact ATR Services and see if they'll sell you a set of flanges -- I'm quite sure their flanges will fit your existing hubs.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

StereoNut

• Real Full Name: Peter K. LAU
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 08:04:44 PM »

Hi Mr. Fletcher,
I guess you mis-understood my question. I brought the brand new flanges with the Studer/Revox logo for about $15 each from a seller in Canada and wanted to use the hubs of the reel - not the hubs on the RTR machine itself - and attach the flanges. I have one 10 1/2 inch empty reel of nearly all the makes of every manufacturer of RTR machines but I want spares as I have a Revox A77, PR99 and a Studer A80 Master Recorder as well as a QGB 10 1/2 inch bridge for my portable Nagra 4.2.
I know I am a CHEAPIE without having to fork out $80 for a genuine R/S reel from eBay etc! I learnt a lesson with committing without sufficient research!
I also subsequently found out from my friends in Hong Kong doing recordings for the HUGO CD label that reels with 6 screw holes are standard for 1/2 inch and upwards tape width but almost never for 1/4 inch ones with 3 holes as standard, but they are there somewhere! I also found out I can get a " trued " CNC machined aluminum hub for about $150, cost for an Al puck, machine time and labour cost.
Thanks anyway for your reply and if somebody out there have a hub with 6 screw holes, please contact me and perhaps we can make a deal.
Everybody have a very Happy Thanksgivings Holiday.
Sincerely,
Peter

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 07:15:31 PM »

Best of luck with your search... I wish I had an idea of where to tell you to look.  When I moved a few years ago I tossed all the reels in my basement, so alas, I got nothing.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.