R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it Possible to rebuild / transform Neumann TLM 103 into Neumann U87?  (Read 2909 times)

audiojutsu

• Real Full Name: Carissa Rashea Branch

Hello. Is it possible to rebuild / transform a Neumann TLM 103 into a Neumann U87? I am a vocalist, and I am currently using the Neumann TLM 103, but unfortunately, I haven't taken the best care of it over the years and I'm starting to hear static and high pitched frequencies and whistles that are looooong and squeaky. Even so, this is the best mic I have in my possession that make my vocals sound professional. I want to send it off to get repairs, but before I do, I wanted to know if it was possible to transform the mic into a more high quality one. If I can pay several hundred dollars for a transformation of a mic, I'd rather do that than pay a few thousand for a new one.... that is if it's possible to rebuild it for cheaper. BTW, I am no expert and I am really an artist. My apologies if the question is ridiculous. I don't know anything about the technicalities of this equipment.

klaus

Re: Is it Possible to rebuild / transform Neumann TLM 103 into Neumann U87?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »

Posters on this forum can also be very "lay-friendly", so no need to worry about answers that may appear too technical.

The simple and un-technical answer: it would be cost-prohibitive to transform your TLM103 into a U87.
The reason: the two microphones are powered by two entirely different, incompatible methods: one has an assembly of individual, discrete, electronic components, the other is powered by tiny microchips. To design and install a new circuit board completely laid out with discrete components where none existed, and in the relatively small space available inside the TLM 103's body, would not make sense, financially.

The much cheaper solution to your whistling and static noise problem: a professional capsule cleaning, to restore the mic to factory-fresh performance.

P.S.: A simple test to evaluate the source of the noise: if it can be triggered or changed in intensity by speaking closely into the mic, it is a case of capsule contamination remedied by cleaning. If, even before you speak into the mic, the mic makes these noises, then the cause may be what Uwe suggested below.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Uwe

Re: Is it Possible to rebuild / transform Neumann TLM 103 into Neumann U87?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 12:01:21 PM »

as posted in the forum above (duplicate original post):

It is not possible to 'convert' a TLM 103 into a U 87 or U 87A, nor should it be necessary, since you do like the excellent TLM 103. It appears however, that your setup may suffer from RF-interference, as evidenced by the squealing and whistling.
Have the connecting cables checked for quality and integrity of the wiring, particularly the shield. They should have connections for the shield at both ends to pin 1 of the XLR connectors AND the ground lugs! In stubborn situations you may need to replace the connectors with connectors from the Neutrik EMC series. (The EMC-XLR Series is a specifically designed version of the XX series to give enhanced RF screening for critical applications in live performance and recording where there are particular problems with radio transmission or mobile phones.) I also highly recommend to have the microphone checked by a qualified technician. The first points for inspection would be the housing screws: make sure they are tight to assure proper shielding. Lastly, as the previous post stressed, these precision instruments are too valuable to neglect...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.