R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuilding / transform a Neumann Microphone??  (Read 4546 times)

audiojutsu

• Real Full Name: Carissa Rashea Branch
Rebuilding / transform a Neumann Microphone??
« on: September 15, 2015, 12:22:32 PM »

Hello. Is it possible to rebuild / transform a Neumann TLM 103 into a Neumann U87? I am a vocalist, and I am currently using the Neumann TLM 103, but unfortunately, I haven't taken good care of it over the years and I'm starting to hear static and high pitched frequencies and whistles that are looooong and squeaky. Even so, this is the best mic I have in my possession that make my vocals sound professional. I want to send it off to get repairs, but before I do, I wanted to know if it was possible to transform the mic into a more high quality one. If I can pay several hundred dollars for a transformation of a mic, I'd rather do that than pay a few thousand for a new one.... that is if it's possible to rebuild it for cheaper. BTW, I am no expert and I am really an artist. My apologies if the question is ridiculous. I don't know anything about the technicalities of this equipment.

radardoug

• Real Full Name: Doug Jane
Re: Rebuilding / transform a Neumann Microphone??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:52:54 PM »

Yes your question is ridiculous. You should think more before putting pen to paper. Its liketurning a Honda Civic into a Mercedes. Not going to happen. Also look after the gear you have got better, and then you wont have to keep fixing it.

Uwe

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »

It is not possible to 'convert' a TLM 103 into a U 87 or U 87A, nor should it be necessary, since you do like the excellent TLM 103. It appears however, that your setup may suffer from RF-interference, as evidenced by the squealing and whistling.
Have the connecting cables checked for quality and integrity of the wiring, particularly the shield. They should have connections for the shield at both ends to pin 1 of the XLR connectors AND the ground lugs! In stubborn situations you may need to replace the connectors with connectors from the Neutrik EMC series. (The EMC-XLR Series is a specifically designed version of the XX series to give enhanced RF screening for critical applications in live performance and recording where there are particular problems with radio transmission or mobile phones.) I also highly recommend to have the microphone checked by a qualified technician. The first points for inspection would be the housing screws: make sure they are tight to assure proper shielding. Lastly, as the previous post stressed, these precision instruments are too valuable to neglect...

radardoug

• Real Full Name: Doug Jane
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »

By the way, one cause of funny noises in a microphone like this is dirty capsule. If you start speaking into it, and it starts making funny noises, then dirty capsule is very likely. Comes back to looking after your tools.

granger.frederic

• Real Full Name: frederic granger
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 03:29:52 AM »

Dear audijustsu,

Yes, off course you can !

i've done many TLM103 mods and, as the capsule and the headbasket are quite similar to a k870/U87, the final sound will be quite similar to a U87 vintage . (and much better for me)
you have to remove the internal board and built another headamp with an output transformer...
if you can't , then feel free to PM me.

good luck
Fred

duskb

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »

The question doesn't sound ridiculous to me. Alot of different tech's have done mod's to different mic's changing their behavior and sound. I'm not a fan of the 103 at all so I cant imagine it's hard to improve it. Just getting a different capsule alone might be a decent (costly) upgrade.

Finding someone to do a mod to improve that mic which you can hear beforehand, OTOH, I'm not so sure about. Whatever is done to mod the mic I do not think it will sound identical to a U87, nor am I sure why one would want it to. Enjoy the mic for what it is. not what it is not.
----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Technical Services/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 24 queries.