R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 44.1k and 96k master delivery questions  (Read 3764 times)

bradsarno

• Real Full Name: Brad Sarno
44.1k and 96k master delivery questions
« on: September 11, 2015, 07:51:09 PM »

I've got some projects where the label/artist want both a CD master (DDP) and also a hi-res 24/96k version of the master as well. Generally, for these hi-res releases, will a label simply want the song/tracks as wave files with track number and song title?

Also, this brings up another issue. My system runs on one clock, not a separate pitcher and catcher. I typically master by upsampling my 44.1k mixes to 88.2 or 96kHz to feed the DAC that feeds the analog gear path. But since the system is clocking at 44.1kHz, my capture is at the correct sample rate for CD.

So in the scenario where the artist wants truly 96k mastering from 96k files and at a 96k capture. Where would be the best stage of the game to SRC down to 44.1kHz for the CD files? Should I convert to 44.1k and then assemble the DDP and apply the final peak limiter? Should I peak limit at 96kHz and then simply SRC down to 44.1 after that for the CD files? Any suggestions or successful workflow methods would be most appreciated.

Brad

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Re: 44.1k and 96k master delivery questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:39:48 PM »

I run a separate pass for alternate sample rates to avoid sample rate conversion.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

Jim Williams

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »

Always avoid SRC if you can, do another pass at the different rate. If you must only do one, select 88.2k as that is nearly the same as 96k but divides easily by two for the CD rates.

Never upsample, that does not gain anything that wasn't already there to begin with. Start higher, work lower, not the other way around.

ArtSta

• Real Full Name: Artur Stawski
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »

Hi Brad,

I think it's always best to ask artist/label what they exactly expect at the particular time.

Regarding 96->44.1k conversion if you're working from 96k files to deliver CD it's usually best to peak limit (if you really need to use limiter) at higher rate with little headroom as downsampling may result in some overshoots. Working at higher rate to peak limit at lower rate does not always make sense as limiter you're using will likely oversample so you can have more than single SRC in the worst scenario (that does not need to be bad as long as quality SRC is in place).

If you're working from 44.1k files, to upsample or not to upsample- this is actually a question about tools that are going to be used. For example upsampling does not make sense as long as there's no plugin in the chain that does SRC on its own. But in general many plugins oversample so whether upsampling and downsampling once or more than that is better or not (and actually such cases are much more complex)- this is a question how your tools are working.

Please note that even if you're going OTB and back then to ITB at target rate, you're also SRC-ing as converters are doing it, so SRC is not too much of worry about. The 'going OTB and back to ITB' process might be actually more destructive than SRCing ITB depending on how particular converters perform at some rates.

Art
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.