R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allison Research - A History (Gain Brain & Kepex)  (Read 4044 times)

oneflightup

• Real Full Name: Nick Irving
Allison Research - A History (Gain Brain & Kepex)
« on: August 31, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »

Hi everyone,

Thought some of you might find my new article worth reading....

A History of Allison Research
http://www.oneflightup.com.au/allison-research

How many of you remember the old Gain Brain and Kepex modules.... the Fet ones?!

Cheers

Nick
One Flight Up Recording Studios Sydney Australia
http://www.oneflightup.com.au

Fletcher

Re: Allison Research - A History (Gain Brain & Kepex)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:01:35 AM »

Sorry to hear about Paul's passing... but very cool overview articles!!  Sadly, yes... I'm old enough to remember the products well.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Bob Olhsson

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:24:35 PM »

I'm old enough to remember the Kepex was by no means the first noise gate! We had several different Fairchild "auto-ten" gates at Motown. I think I tried each once. They, like all of the Fairchild transistor gear, were amazingly bad.

We had a panel discussion about early console automation at an AES meeting here in Nashville with Paul and George Massenburg. They were both remarkably open and blunt about the considerable shortcomings of each system. It was an amazing meeting.

oneflightup

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »

Hi Fletcher, Bob,

Thanks for your replies!

And especially thanks to Bob for correcting me on the "first gate" remark. I'll correct the article now.

So were the Fairchilds the first studio gates? I'm curious - we see/hear a lot of discussion about compressors and limiters, but not nearly as much about gates. [Obviously there's less to get excited about (!) but still, handy tools nonetheless.]
Could I ask your opinion on the Allison modules - the Gain Brain and Kepex?

Thanks again for your contributions! :)

Nick

One Flight Up : Recording Studios Sydney

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 11:46:56 AM »

The "Auto-Ten" [I think the model number was 661... but its been a while and I could be mistaken] was mainly thought of as an expander... and like all the stuff in the Fairchild "solid state" series -- pretty much sucked as a tool but could be an interesting effect if "stellar audio" wasn't your end goal.

The Kepex was a definite and vast improvement, but it was indeed not the first dynamics unit of that nature.  Many Kepex's were replaced by Roger Meyer [Mayer?] gates that fit in the same frame which were a bit more flexible in their use, and arguably, a bit more "audiophile".

In my twisted little world, when I first ran into the Drawmer DS-201, that was the game changer that had me using gates way more often [and frankly, probably more than I should have... but it seemed like a good idea at the time].

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

oneflightup

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 11:27:30 AM »

Hey,

Thanks for the info Fletcher!

Yeah, it's easy to over-do the gating/expanding... a little is generally plenty!

Thanks again for your reply.

Nick
One Flight Up Recording Studio Sydney
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.