R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AD/DA Converters for a small studio??  (Read 3380 times)

ryanleighpatterson

• Real Full Name: Ryan Leigh Patterson
AD/DA Converters for a small studio??
« on: June 17, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »

Sorry if this has been discussed before... but I've been away from the industry for a while and am slowly reemerging from the grind of family/mortgage/more stable career.  I'm now in the process of building a small studio, catering to local (Toronto) indy musicians.  It will most certainly be a non-profit venture so I'm keen to manage cost's where feasible. 

My last set up was a portable rig using a Focusrite ISA 428 with the 8 ch AD card and an API 3124+ running into a Digi 002 via ADAT (basically a useless protools dongle).  I sold the 3124+ a while back, but I've still got the 428 with the AD card (the 002 will be tossed soon).  That being said, I'm in the process of building out 12 channels of good mic pre's from Seventh Circle Audio to go with my 428.  My goal is to have 16 channels of mic pre's and 24 channels of AD in total.  So here is my question... what converters/computer interface should I consider, given that I'd like to avoid breaking the bank. Has anyone tried the new MOTU 16A? Are used Apogee 16x converters still considered decent?  Is worthwhile to also use the converters in the 428 (they've always sounded decent to my ears). 

Thanks for any feedback and sorry for the long post. 

Back in the groove after a t/o in TO.  Dug my gear out of storage and I'm slowly building a studio in my reasonably sized garage.

Fletcher

Re: AD/DA Converters for a small studio??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 11:49:04 AM »

Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan in the works... as far as converter technology, a used set of the Apogee 16x units should do the job without a struggle and probably won't break the bank.  They've got a solid clock and provide what I consider overall acceptable audio quality... or at least far better than the MOTU stuff I've heard yet not quite as musically pleasing to me as the iZ stuff.

As always.... your mileage may vary.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

ryanleighpatterson

• Real Full Name: Ryan Leigh Patterson
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »

Thanks Fletcher - your advice is certainly appreciated!

Back in the groove after a t/o in TO.  Dug my gear out of storage and I'm slowly building a studio in my reasonably sized garage.

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:27:26 PM »

While I'm quite happy to be of assistance, I'm sure there is more research to do...

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.