R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LA 3a mod question  (Read 1947 times)

Ross Hogarth

LA 3a mod question
« on: September 07, 2004, 01:10:49 PM »

I posted on another forum last week and I am trying my luck on Fletcher's here.
I am looking for the schematic and or help in doing the gain mod on my LA 3a's
I am just making sure of what resister's and which values get changed.
Any help here ?

thanks in advance

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

U1176

Re: LA 3a mod question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 05:13:05 PM »

You could try Eddie Ciletti.

Michael Greene

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 08:41:18 PM »

Ross,
    I guess you didn't see my post on the other forum
Here is what I have on it.  See the attachment

Good luck,
Michael Greene

LA3A Mods The original LA 3A (and LA 2A) were designed as broadcast compressors. The gain structure and facilities of the unit were arranged for that purpose. These units have found wide spread use in the recording studio, and as such require modification to better be utilized in the studio environment..  1) Relocate Compress/Limit switch to front panel   For convenience.  2) Add Link Switch to front panel.       For convenience.  3) Add HF Boost switch to front panel      This facility was originally used for broadcast transmission systems utilizing a pre-emphasis audio curve. This facility was designed to keep these EQed transitions from overloading in the HF region. Though not designed as such, in recording studios this function is used similar to a deesser, making the compression circuits more sensitive to HF (esses) signals.  4) Set HF boost rear panel control to MAX. FULLY CCW.  5) Relocate Power Switch to front panel.  6) Add BYPASS switch to front panel.      Install termination at BYPASS switch (see below)  7) Align LINK facility.  Cool Set rear panel gain switch to "50". This removes the PAD in front of the input transformer. Making better signal to noise ratio.  9) Add 15k resistor in parallel with R14 (220k). equivalent resistance = 13.5k      This reduces the gain taken in the front end by leaving the gain switch in the "50" position.     Both these together also put the GAIN and PEAK REDUCTION controls in a better range for interface in the recording studio. REMEMBER... Even if you don?t do all the other mods, Terminate the output transformer with 600 ohms (620 is ok) to prevent frequency response and transient ringing  anomalies .. This of course assumes that the circuit that the LA3A will be feeding is NON terminating... i.e High Input Impedance (most circuits after 1970 are). Ed Evans Circa 1991, update 2003
Michael Greene

U1176

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 09:56:28 PM »

Link is dead dude!

I would love to see it though.

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 02:03:21 AM »

cool michael, thanks
sorry i did see it and was wondering about any other thoughts
thanks again !!

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 06:19:16 AM »

Michael nailed all the ones I've ever heard of...
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.