R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M600 - and other microphone mounting  (Read 3875 times)

AlexVI

• Real Full Name: Alexander Van Ingen
M600 - and other microphone mounting
« on: June 07, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »

Dear Klaus,
I recently came across an old discussion from some years back, here:
http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,9766
where the merits of solid, clamp, suspension mounts etc. are talked about. During the course of the discussion, you were hoping to have time to evaluate the Enhanced Audio M600 mount, and I wondered if you had had a chance to do so, and if so, what conclusions you came to?

Alexander.

klaus

Re: M600 - and other microphone mounting
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »

Hello Alexander,
You are quite right, it's high time I conclude that old thread with the opinion I had promised.

After I received a sample of the M600 mount from its inventor David Browne, I felt the manufacturer and assorted Golden Ears were eager for me to agree that greater clarity, a more robust bass, and other audible improvements could be had by mounting a solid attachment around the microphone, rather than a mount that acoustically isolates the mic from its mount and stand.

I admit, I really wanted to hear the improvements the M600 promised, and wanted to believe theoretically convincing arguments why it should work. Initial, informal tests I made back in 2005 were inconclusive. After a few more serious and controlled tests since then, I could not once hear the difference between this and conventional swivel or suspension mounts.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 09:29:22 PM »

I can't speak to whether they sound different, better, etc. but we have several and I do really like the mounting system; it seems both more convenient and at least equally secure to conventional suspension mounts. And it doesn't seem to sound worse; I haven't noticed increased vibration-borne interference. So I like them on the whole, even if the claims of "improved sound" might be... "optimistic."

klaus

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 02:47:32 AM »

Thanks.
Have you had any denting or imprints in the mic housing from the attachment cups that grip the mic body as a result of too-firm a clamping force?
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:22:37 AM »

Have not had anything like that-- There are pads on the clamps that seem as though they might be made of Teflon or some other similar material. They seem to work well, but bear in mind that we do not torque them down with excessive force.

Actually, one of the things that surprised me about the system was how securely the mic seems to be held without excessive tightening. I think it's a good mounting system, though it is certainly not inexpensive.

There are a host of assistants, interns, and sometimes freelancers at our place, so that's a pretty good test of how prone they are to misuse and malfunction. Track record so far has been good. I want to say we have 4 or 5 of these mounts around, but I haven't counted.

hasbeen

• Real Full Name: Troy Douglas Sutler III
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »

Have not had anything like that-- There are pads on the clamps that seem as though they might be made of Teflon or some other similar material. They seem to work well, but bear in mind that we do not torque them down with excessive force.

Actually, one of the things that surprised me about the system was how securely the mic seems to be held without excessive tightening. I think it's a good mounting system, though it is certainly not inexpensive.

There are a host of assistants, interns, and sometimes freelancers at our place, so that's a pretty good test of how prone they are to misuse and malfunction. Track record so far has been good. I want to say we have 4 or 5 of these mounts around, but I haven't counted.

Agreed. I only have 4 but love the ease of use. And that is the main reason regardless of any miraculous sonic advantage. I bought a Rycote which has a similar thumb  screws but I still prefer the M600.
Who Is John Galt?

klaus

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »

"Only" four? At these prices?
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.