R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio setup  (Read 2592 times)

Bryanb1980

• Real Full Name: Bryan Baker
Studio setup
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:50:02 PM »

Hey everybody. I am mostly a live sound guy but recently purchased Sonar to do some recording both live and at home. I have dabbled in recording but have never really got into it until now. I recorded a sound job I had last week live with my QU16 to sonar and it worked out great. Here is my question for recording at home though.

Since my QU16 doesn't have DAW control for PC it's been hard for me to figure out the best way to do playback. I have a Scarlett USB interface which works for when I'm just recording by myself but I need a solution for recording say a full band at once. Because I can't control where the playback goes through the mixer it's hard to record while monitoring what has already been laid down. Overdubbing.  I guess what I'm asking is this. What is the best way to setup a studio to where it's easy to record multiple band members at the same time? I need to be able to record the entire group all at once then have the ability for them to be able to go back and re record their track while listening to the previous tracks that were recorded. I hope this makes sense. I am a total noob when it comes to this.

I do have an analog board that I could use but with my interface I would lose the ability to have each channel recorded to its own track, I would essentially be recording the main bus. So I'm not real clear on even how this is achieved in studios. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Fletcher

Re: Studio setup
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:20:52 PM »

You might want to try using the analog desk on the discrete outputs of each of the recorded channels [this would mean you'd need as many channels of D/A as you have inputs on the desk]. which will permit you to: A) build monitor mixes for the musicians; and B) give you the flexibility to do overdubs.

Its kinda working "old school"... but that worked for us old guy for a long assed time and should work for you if you're into learning the program.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 24 queries.