R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimal rockwool density for corner "superchunk" bass traps?  (Read 8820 times)

Jan Janovich

• Real Full Name: Jan Janovich
Optimal rockwool density for corner "superchunk" bass traps?
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:44:29 PM »

So i'm building a home studio, and that question is most disturbing for me. Someone recommend 50, someone more - 90, 110.
I want to use 50 for broadband panels to supress early reflections, and 110 for corner bass traps. But there is some uncertainty with density of rockwoll for that. Someone tells that 110 is too dense and can reflect bass waves, someone tells the opposite - that 110 is more efficient on very low freqs, but no one have any measurements to show the real difference. On online calculator 110 is more efficient on lows, but what about possible reflections of bass waves from "too dence" material? Does anyone have any calculations or formulas for that? I intend to use typical half and half triangles from one standart plate 120x60 or 100x50, so one triangle have sides of 50x50х70 (depth from corner to trap supface = 36 cm), or 60x60х84  (depth from corner to trap supface = 43 cm). So, how i can calculate density/refrelcion frequency of that chunks? What density should i use?

DanDan

• Real Full Name: Dan FitzGerald
Re: Optimal rockwool density for corner "superchunk" bass traps?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »

I would go with published testing rather than predictions and googled opinions.
studiotips.com is the home of the SSC and Corner Absorber.  Afaik they used 703, a 50KG Glass product.
Isover High Performance Duct Cladding has very similar absorption figures, if a tad better.
I have found the 60 cm wide SSC to be very disappointing and the bigger one, as you plan, very successful. I used Isover.
For deeper trapping (like SoffiTraps)  for sure go for the much cheaper lighter fibres. e.g. Knauf Ecose Batts or Rolls.
Individual 100-150mm traps I would use a 100KG Batt.
These density numbers aside, Caruso Isobond 100mm has really excellent absorption figures and does not need fabric containment and is fireproof.
https://www.don-audio.com/Caruso-B100-Bassabsorber-Akustikvlies-Schallabsorber

Dan FitzGerald  MIOA MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.