R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic Producing Weird Sounds  (Read 2765 times)

stephengeorg

• Real Full Name: Stephen Georg
Mic Producing Weird Sounds
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:20:03 PM »

First off, I hope I have this in the right spot! It was a little difficult figuring out where exactly this topic belonged.

My name is Stephen Georg, and I produce YouTube content for a living. One of the channels I run is dedicated to game commentaries (commonly called "Let's Play" videos) where I play video games and commentate over them. I've been doing this for nearly 4 years now.

Our setup is extremely simple. We've been using Sennheiser PC 151 headsets plugged directly into the mic jack of the computer. If we have another person commentating (my wife frequently joins in), we simply use a splitter to plug two of the headsets into the mic jack. Certainly not the most elegant solution, but with some audio effects in post, it sounds pretty decent.

We've used this exact setup for all 4 years, and while the headsets occasionally short out (the cable for them is extremely thin), we've never run into a problem like the one I hit 2 weeks ago. After finishing a 2 hour recording session, I played it back to discover that a few minutes of the file contained pops, crackles, then an ever-increasing echo and distortion. It gradually gets worse, then better, until the problem goes away. In the nearly 2 1/2 hour recording, the oddity covered a 12 minute area.

In the past, when I've had a headset short out, it produced pops or crackles, but not this weird echo effect. I feel like the problem isn't in the microphone, but rather with the computer. Unfortunately, in the last 2 weeks, the problem has only shown up on 2 occasions, so it's extremely difficult to pinpoint. We've recorded hours of content in that time, and I've had many successful recordings with the same headset. I decided to try my wife's the other day for a 4 hour recording, and while it was successful, that doesn't feel necessarily conclusive since I've had successful recordings with my own.

I've posted a YouTube video where I talk about the problem and play a bit of the recording (recording starts around 2:07). One of the commenters suggests that it could be a buffer issue. I just find it odd that this problem appeared out of nowhere after 4 years. For the record, nothing related to my computer has changed whatsoever, which also has me stumped.

While it's beneficial to have commenters on that video, they are not audio professionals, which is why I've come to these forums. A few people have recommended getting a dedicated audio interface, though I'm not entirely sure that'd work with the headsets we already have. I actually posted on these forums back in 2012 about looking into a mixer, though I never went through with that purchase, due to incompatibilities with our current headsets.

I'm at a loss since I don't know what the problem is or what could possibly fix it. I'm hoping someone here can assist. Thank you!

(As a side note, my experience with audio is probably best assumed to be a beginner level. That may be safest!)

Jerome Malsack

• Real Full Name: Jerome Malsack
Re: Mic Producing Weird Sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 10:39:28 PM »

Did you change something in the computer or update a driver ?

If possible, insert your soundcard into a PCI slot which has a dedicated "Interrupt Request (IRQ) Channel", as described in your motherboard handbook. Except for dual processor motherboards, there will probably be 4 electronic IRQ channels used to assign IRQs. (This is not the same thing as the 16 virtual IRQs we usually talk about.) For example, on my ASUS CUV4X mobo, Interrupt Request channel "A" is shared by AGP (reportedly noisier than PCI video cards) & PCI-slot1 (leave blank if AGP is in use) & PCI-slot5 (empty). Int-"B" is shared by AGP & PCI-slot2 (NIC - noisy). Int-"C" is a dedicated electronic channel, taking hardwire interrupt pulses generated solely by the device installed in PCI-slot3 (soundcard). Int-"D" is shared by PCI-slot4 (SCSI - noisy) and USB-controller (mouse, keyboard, etc. - very noisy). If I install my soundcard in any slot other than PCI-slot3, the result is a scratching sound, like a loose connection at an input jack. But, it comes from the mouse pulses (slot controlled by Int-"D") or from video rewrites (slot controlled by either int-"A" or "B").

So this may appear dated with scsi and agp  but still is relevant in the desktop machines.  Laptops will still be a problem because of the compressed format and build.  Might be time for the external sound card on USB. 

Dinogi

• Real Full Name: Dean Giamette
  • Wow! A third star! I'll try to be worthy of it.
Re: Mic Producing Weird Sounds
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »

Has the phenomena reappeared? It may just be that something in your system is right on the edge of failure. A four year old piece of electronics may have built up enough dust to create a problem. A component somewhere in the guts of the machine may be overheating. I would try blowing the thing out with some canned air or using a vacuum to clean the particulate matter that may have deposited itself inside. You mention that nothing with the computer has changed. Have you installed updates to your OS or anything else like your flash player? If the problem comes back and ruins another recording you may want to go to an alternative recording device like a handheld recorder. It would be cheaper than replacing your computer.
I'd trade everything I own now for a good sounding room and a bucket of 57's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.