Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tidal  (Read 4986 times)

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Tidal
« on: January 11, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »

Anyone using Tidal yet?  Interesting that they can stream lossless audio, and happy to hear a service finally talking about quality. 

The demo has a null test that shows what's missing from compressed formats and the lossless version. 

https://tidalhifi.com/us
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
Re: Tidal
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:25:36 AM »

Looks interesting Dana, might be even better to hear, I like their "manly" intro as well.

Wonder what they are paying the artists for the streams?

Best, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

djwaudio

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »

Good question, they charge more, but one might suspect that goes to the server capacity. 
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

Tom Woodhead

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:59 AM »

I signed up for the month-long trial when it first came out. It sounded fine but the interface was way clunkier than Spotify , especially on Mac, and the range of tracks/artists was smaller. There was no option to normalise the volume between records either, which I'd argue is Spotify's most meaningful contribution to audio quality.

If they could iron out these issues I'd be happy to pay the extra dough. They did send a mail out 'round a month or two ago detailing how they pay roughly double the royalties that Spotify does, although as I understand it these figures for streaming services are in constant flux.

djwaudio

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 02:33:38 PM »

I know I'm in a significant minority on this, but I do NOT want any kind of volume normalization.  The whole advantage to me would be a bit-perfect delivery for serious listening.  The fact that iTunes and other player are always sample rate converting in the background kills it for me.  I think the desire for gapless playback and level normalizing have kept the door open for messing with the audio.  A solution that is oriented to quality should avoid changing the audio IMO.
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering

ArtSta

• Real Full Name: Artur Stawski
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 03:15:43 PM »

I know I'm in a significant minority on this, but I do NOT want any kind of volume normalization.  The whole advantage to me would be a bit-perfect delivery for serious listening.  The fact that iTunes and other player are always sample rate converting in the background kills it for me.  I think the desire for gapless playback and level normalizing have kept the door open for messing with the audio.  A solution that is oriented to quality should avoid changing the audio IMO.

I partially agree with you. Serious listeners usually do not find it difficult to use volume knob.

Unfortunately for the rest it should be a default option - for now it looks like the only way casual listeners would not complain, atists/producers/managers would not compete. Both groups create this business and usually do not care why and how audio has been changed.

Art

KAyo

• R/E/P Forums
  • Real Full Name: KAyo
  • Business Videos 24/7
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 04:36:29 AM »

This sounds good!
I want it, when it actually gets here and works like normal.

In the meantime, I have to say .. we are all in the minutest of minorities. The agenda to roll-out this “lossless music ” is getting tedious and even more tiresome is our belief, that there is a genuine desire in the fickle public for “clearer sounding” music.

As a delivery, I believe it will happen .. and will be wonderful. Hear it the way you were meant to hear it. Excellent!

But, we are quite a distance from it, becoming the ‘norm’. Yeah bandwidths have increased, speeds are better than ever before, streaming has improved ..blah blah blah.. But, it’s still far from working for all. And in business, what works for all ..matters, everything else is left to hobbyist and wantapreneurs!

Just two weeks ago, I was amongst a group of friends discussing what’s cheaper and which is a better deal to have, but, nobody was discussing the quality of the audio. Wasn’t even worthy of conversation. Everybody enjoyed every sing along, drank and finished merry.. no fuss to discuss whatsoever! To most, the music is just fine.

Until then, whether we like it or not.. people are genuinely enjoying their music in the formats they are receiving it. May it be Google/ Spotify or the others ..

Cheers,
KAyo
www.kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.