R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can rock music created in a home studio be as authentic?  (Read 4469 times)

Tom Minter

• Real Full Name: Tom Minter
Can rock music created in a home studio be as authentic?
« on: July 08, 2015, 08:05:52 PM »

Hi Everyone I am doing a research study on the impact that digital technology has had on Rock music and recording.

I would really appreciate it if you could fill out my survey for me so that I can gather professional opinions on the questions asked to make my study more valid.

Many Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AjjZoKa58zD4BYPUhZnL-QhWpk0jorM987u5GaYAVtw/viewform

jaykadis

• R/E/P Forums
Re: Can rock music created in a home studio be as authentic?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »

I tried to answer your survey but there's no room for middle ground in most of your questions. The issues are not black and white. In short, the main problem lies not with the quality of the gear but with the expertise of the user.

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »

One of my favorite records EVER RECORDED is by a band called "The Yayhoos".  The album is called "Fear Not The Obvious".  It was recorded in a barn, with Shure SM-57 microphones, onto a 16 bit ADAT [tape based digital recorder] in the 90's. 

To me, this album stands up against anything recorded in a "real" recording studio -- why?  ...because the songwriting is fucking awesome, the playing is fucking awesome, the arrangements are brilliant, and the audio supports the musical statement.

It doesn't matter where it was made, it matters that it was made.  That said, there are thousands of recordings made every year that really shouldn't have been made, and this is where the struggle begins.  Who is to decide what should and shouldn't be made? Ultimately, its the consumer as they vote with their wallet... the bitch of the beast is that there is bloody little access to great recordings and its intensely difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, and no real method to discover new music unless you put in effort to find that music.

Peace

CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

trixienifty

• Real Full Name: Trixie P.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:12:59 AM »

One of my favorite records EVER RECORDED is by a band called "The Yayhoos".  The album is called "Fear Not The Obvious".  It was recorded in a barn, with Shure SM-57 microphones, onto a 16 bit ADAT [tape based digital recorder] in the 90's. 

To me, this album stands up against anything recorded in a "real" recording studio -- why?  ...because the songwriting is fucking awesome, the playing is fucking awesome, the arrangements are brilliant, and the audio supports the musical statement.

It doesn't matter where it was made, it matters that it was made.  That said, there are thousands of recordings made every year that really shouldn't have been made, and this is where the struggle begins.  Who is to decide what should and shouldn't be made? Ultimately, its the consumer as they vote with their wallet... the bitch of the beast is that there is bloody little access to great recordings and its intensely difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, and no real method to discover new music unless you put in effort to find that music.

Peace

Very well said :)

Jim Williams

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:51 AM »

I had the chance to do some work for Leon Russell back in the 1970's. He had the first "home studio" in Encino, CA located in a spread out ranch house. He had all the stuff right there.

It made a huge impression on this 25 year old kid. I saw great musicians doing great work all having way more fun than I ever saw anyone have at a commercial recording studio. No clocks on the walls either, it was a new way to record, at home, with friends without pressures.

JSantos

• Real Full Name: John Santos
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 06:44:58 AM »

I know this is quite old but it's an interesting thread.

I think rock music can be produced almost everyday nowadays. Especially now with high-quality and purpose-made Vdrumkits, almost anybody can make a great production with a smaller budget.

I myself can attest to this. I've been recording rock music in the Philippines before I moved to the Netherlands for seven years. A real drumkit and playing around with microphones for guitars and other instruments is still nice. But in today's world, convenience and affordability is key. And if you can get high quality, you can be sure you could create high-quality rock recordings!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.