R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huge Room for Drum Recording?  (Read 11455 times)

Sam Carlen

• Real Full Name: Sam Carlen
Huge Room for Drum Recording?
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »

Hi guys,
 I have newly gained availibility to my school's auditorium anytime after school hours I please with prior notice for recording drums in and playing in. I think this might sound absolutely amazing for recording a big rock drum sound in! All acoustically treated, carpeted floors and seats. And it's pretty big too. I know it depends on the type of music would this be a good advantage over say a small "dead" room? Cause I have that option too. And has anyone tried this kind of room before? Before I go and haul my setup over there. Thanks!
Sam

Dominick Costanzo

Re: Huge Room for Drum Recording?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »

Space is rarely a problem as long as you can control the reverb level.
I've recorded great drum sounds in auditoriums, both in live ensemble and isolated tracking situations. You can always close curtains, drop backdrops and lay carpets to absorb the mid/high reverb. If you need a tight/close sound, put the drums in a dressing room. Have fun!
Dominick Costanzo

Sam Carlen

• Real Full Name: Sam Carlen
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »

Space is rarely a problem as long as you can control the reverb level.
I've recorded great drum sounds in auditoriums, both in live ensemble and isolated tracking situations. You can always close curtains, drop backdrops and lay carpets to absorb the mid/high reverb. If you need a tight/close sound, put the drums in a dressing room. Have fun!

Yep, thank you Dominick. I've been thinking about making some large 6 foot or so baffles out of mattresses and using them to record in either large rooms to control the reverb or small rooms to kill it. Hopefully once I can it'll all work out. Cheers! :)
Sam

USENCLOSURECO

• Real Full Name: Brian O'Neill
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 04:29:22 AM »

We used to record drums in a room 40 feet high, 120 feet long, and 60 feet deep.  All but floor had acoustic tile.  Floor was cement.

Bri
US
www.usenclosure.com

Flagfoot

• Real Full Name: Riley Bunn
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »

sorry for the thread resurrection.  Rock drums in huge rooms can be really fun to record.  Long concrete hallways are amazing things.

Jerome Malsack

• Real Full Name: Jerome Malsack
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »

Remember that it is easy to get that large room sound on the recording and you will not be able to duplicate the sound from another source in a smaller room.  You can always turn down the amp but when the amp goes full power you can not raise the bar any further. 

shapatan

• Real Full Name: gul sher
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 12:08:55 AM »

I've been thinking about making some large 6 foot or so baffles out of mattresses and using them to record in either large rooms to control the reverb or small rooms to kill it. Hopefully once I can it'll all work out. Cheers! :)..???

Unblocked games 67 | Gamesmagzine
Cool math games unblocked | Gamesmagzine
76 unblocked games | Gamesmagzine

Jim Williams

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:40 AM »

I used a set of king sized mattresses (my bed) in the corner of a large bedroom in LA. I recorded Chester Thompson and one of his Sonar drum sets back in the early 1980's. It worked out great, but having Chester did help a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.