R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Critic at Large, Vol. VIII: Hearing Loss and Musical Judgement  (Read 21931 times)

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
Re: Critic at Large, Vol. VIII: Hearing Loss and Musical Judgement
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »

Interesting-- I'd love to read that study! I wonder how this relates to the fact that men historically experience age-related hearing loss more (or earlier) than women.

My dad has pretty serious hearing loss at 66. He was always working on loud race cars in closed garages, cutting down trees with chainsaws, banging hammers on stuff, etc. My mother's hearing is near perfect at 64. She spent most of her time in church!

It makes one wonder whether the historical gender-related patterns of hearing loss have a social component as well as a physiological one, and whether in future generations (as gender roles become less restrictive and neatly-defined) we will begin to see a leveling-out of age-related hearing loss among the genders?

Jim Williams

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »

Maybe, if mom decides to trade in her apron for a mechanics suit. Studies have shown small children pick the same stuff their older parents do, without any suggestions boys play with cars, girls play with dolls.

polypals

• Real Full Name: Paul Kirchhoff
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2015, 06:21:38 PM »

Age related hearing loss mostly means loss to register high frequencies ie above 10 Khz.
Only very rarely will you find high spl in that range.
I dare to say hearing loss due to ''overload'' of the human ear mostly occurs in the 1200-3000 Hz range.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.