R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U47 reissue...  (Read 3216 times)

boz6906

• Real Full Name: Jeff Bosley
U47 reissue...
« on: October 11, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »

"Now the U 47 fet is back! For the new “Collectors Edition U 47 fet”, Neumann has resumed production of this classic mic, according to the original production documents and schematics. The Collectors Edition is supplied with a high-quality wooden case with special packaging, and an individual certificate with the serial number of the microphone.
In terms of technical design, the U 47 fet is a large-diaphragm condenser microphone with a cardioid directional characteristic and fet 80 circuit technology. This technology, also used in the U 87, is characterized by a wide dynamic range. Like it’s predecessor, the U 47, the U 47 fet employs the K 47 capsule which
features a slight boost in the frequency response above 2 kHz."

Sells for under $4k.
Sales promotion copied directly from the manufacturer is not something I like to see here. How about a comment or two about the feasibility of such a remake, from a manufacturer who, until quite recently, kept insisting: "vee doon't revisit se past" (I have ordered a sample of this mic for review)? K.H.

polypals

• Real Full Name: Paul Kirchhoff
Re: U47 reissue...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »

That is unfair boz6906, of course you want everybodies attention but the heading of the post suggests ther will be a reissue of the U47.

A reissue of the U47 fet is quite a different thing.

boz6906

• Real Full Name: Jeff Bosley
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »

The quote is specifically "In terms of technical design", meant to share the manufacturer's technical details, nothing more.

And I certainly wouldn't be presumptuous enough as to make "a comment or two about the feasibility of such a remake" without having personal experience with the actual product (as required by the forum rules... )

I do admit I am somewhat puzzled at the negative perception of this product evidenced in the replys...

So I take it you've had an opportunity to actually audition the mic and found it less than satisfying?

klaus

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »

What negative perception? Certainly not from me. And: no, have not heard it. Neumann's diminutive AES booth did not provide a chance for critical listening and comparing   The Neumann rep only mentioned that the reproduction was 100% accurate, including point-to-point soldering, albeit lead-free, choice of switches, transformer sourcing, etc. were all derived "from the original blueprints" (always an authoritative statement!)

We will see. And I have a few originals at my disposal, to compare tone (yes, the FET47 is and always was a musical instrument!)
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

polypals

• Real Full Name: Paul Kirchhoff
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 04:15:02 AM »

boz6906,

It is unclear to me whom you are dressing in your comment.
I did not comment on the new U47fet simply because I did not have a chance to check one out.

It is just the suggestion in the heading that I found misleading although it probably was not meant that way.

Neumanns attitude expressed by  "vee doon't revisit se past" says enough about the current attitude towards the  heritage of the manufacturer.

Uwe

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 11:48:36 AM »

"vee doon't revisit se past" in no way characterises the Neumann philosophy. It assumes an attitude I personally never witnessed at Neumann (or Sennheiser). Rather it is indicative of the close mindedness inherent in so many self declared 'experts' who seem to stuck in the past and may have lost the will or capability to comprehend new developments. This often results from a lack of correct interpretation of physical facts co-mingled with seemingly plausible theories and assumptions.

One basic philosophy at Neumann is a profound respect for their proud history and their engineers build on it by constantly improving their products. In addition to their unquestionable electro-acoustic heritage and modern research and manufacturing capabilities most of their engineers have extensive backgrounds as accomplished musicians with very keen ears. As integral part of their heritage. Neumann has not only set benchmarks for outstanding and highly acclaimed products, but as importantly, has made major contributions and advances in equipment, standards and procedures for conclusive measurement of all kind of electro-acoustic devices. The goal of meaningful measurements is always in correlation of objective listening...

klaus

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 12:57:16 PM »

The quote comes from the two highest-level Neumann executives at the time, and was made repeatedly, in response to suggestions by me and others to revive some of Neumann's flagship models, parallel o the company's development of new technologies. The suggestion came at a time of rapidly rising prices for vintage mics, and at the beginning of a wave of sub-standard imitator products flooding the microphone market.

In hindsight, I don't think it is an overstatement to say that Neumann is a Johnny-Come-Lately to the trend and to customers' loudly and repeatedly voiced preference. The company's saving grace may be its high build quality and strict adherence to originality, similar to what Neumann did with an authentic re-issue of the U67, a few decades back.

I have arranged for a U47fet test unit to arrive shortly.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 07:09:16 AM »

"We don't revisit the past," was actually a phrase mentioned to me by AKG engineers. When I was directed by a Sennheiser rep to tell his bosses how much I'd love to see the MD409 in production again, I was simply told it's too expensive make, and not possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 23 queries.