R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thin Lizzy ''The boys are back in town '' drums - Linn Or Real?  (Read 6275 times)

Limonatus

• Real Full Name: Frank Limonatus Carrozzo
Thin Lizzy ''The boys are back in town '' drums - Linn Or Real?
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »

Who knows/worked in that AMAZING records ? I very love kick/snare Drums Sound - its totally awesome

Fletcher

Re: Thin Lizzy ''The boys are back in town '' drums - Linn Or Real?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »

That song came out a good half dozen years plus before the Linn Drum... so unless it was a prototype that nobody knew about they were as real as real could be.

That said -- the fashion at the time was single headed toms with mics in the holes where the bottom head might have been -- single headed kik drums with D-12E's in front of the beater and wallets [or Kotex pads] taped to the snare drum to "deaden" them causing the drums to "record individually" [rather than sounding like a "kit"] and being perhaps the abso-fucking-lutely worst sounding period for recorded drums [see "The Eagles" / "Steely Dan" for reference].

If you do indeed truly find that sound to be "amazing" [and there isn't a damn thing wrong with that!!!] you could indeed lead your work to lead others down a similar path and [once again] recreate rock and roll drum recording -- and perhaps for the better!!!

We haven't had "NEW" drum sounds in 20+ years and lawd only knows we could use them... even if its an "old aesthetic" it would still be new and perhaps could lead music in a new and refreshing direction!!!

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

TomYamPraKraPong

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:57:48 AM »

How can I know Everything same you?

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 01:21:24 PM »

How can I know Everything same you?

Slam your head into a brick wall for 35 or so years and you'll get pretty close.

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

kathipearl

• Real Full Name: kathi pearl
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:20:45 AM »

Ok thanks Fletcher  ;D
Get free demos for ccnp exam and mcts exam with ccie rack rental guaranteed success. Our best quality ccie r&s prepares you well before appearing in the final exams of www.bgsp.edu and mcts with Quincy University

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 02:29:45 AM »

You're more than welcome!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

polypals

• Real Full Name: Paul Kirchhoff
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 08:08:07 PM »

I think your description is quite close to what we used to do in those days.
Do not forget the keepex or noise gates to make the drum kit sound dryer.

Brings back the days of loud monitoring.
Hearing Lionel Ritchie sing "You are my destiny" on my way to Berlin made me pop up the volume.
The song sounds definately better that way. Thank God for good audio in German cars.

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »

I never was able to get anything useable out of a "Keypex" other than using it as an "expander" on the aux send to the reverb plate!!  I was never able to get one to work the way I wanted it to work on actual drums.  The Drawmer DS-201 was another story... but to the best of my knowledge [or at least via my experience] they didn't come out until the 80's when we were all onto a completely different "drum sound" aesthetic.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

polypals

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »

Keepex were great to get a dry hihat sound as well.
Try one with handclapping, works well.

I know noise gates were used with reverb.
Never did that. Delay the reverb send and choose short reverb time on EMT 140 or 240 plates did wonders for me.
These days it still amazes me how natural those plates sound on brass and strings.

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 12:44:35 AM »

Gating a H/H with a Keypex?  I missed that one... but it would be fun to try though I dare say it would take some filtering on the "side chain" to work as damn near every other part of a kit is louder than than Hats / Cymbals [at least on an "RMS" level].

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

polypals

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 11:53:55 PM »

No filtering necessary, no external key either. Simply adjust the threshold of the noisegate and you get a nice dry hihat sound. Kiss!

Fletcher

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 02:30:46 AM »

Gonna have to try that sometime!!  I love sounds that don't actually occur in nature... but are "nature based".

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.