R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U89 Pattern switch  (Read 2861 times)

G33Studio

• Real Full Name: Gary Mondello
U89 Pattern switch
« on: March 15, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »

Hello all,
The pattern switch does not appear to be functioning in the figure eight position (no direct sound from the back side of mic)  still getting proper signal from the front while in Figure 8. Is it likely an issue with the pattern switch or capsule?
Any comments greatly appreciated
 Thanks in advance!

GM

klaus

Re: U89 Pattern switch
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »

Get a hold of a U89 schematic (they are online- google it), remove the mic's head assembly, put the pattern switch to figure eight, and insert one end of an ohm meter to the pin on the mic's head assembly that carries polarization voltage to the rear backplate*. Put the other end of the probe to the wire terminal screwed into the rear backplate (both diaphragms on the U89 are at ground potential and carry no voltage) .

If you show zero ohms, your head assembly is fine, and you need to look for a fault either on the capsule itself or on the mic's amp board.

Amp board trouble shooting: you should be able to read a few volts DC on the amp board contact corresponding to the head pin for the rear polarization voltage. It will not be 60VDC, due to the high impedance you are measuring, and the load through your meter. But it should be roughly the same voltage for both backplate connections (front and rear) when measured against ground.

Capsule tests require a capacitance tester: with the wires removed from both backplates, measure the capacitance between the rear backplate (towards the center of capsule) and the rear diaphragm ring (aluminum), then measure between front backplate  and front diaphragm ring: both measurements should read around 80pf.

* I just looked at the schematic: unlike all other Neumann mics, the head assembly pinouts are not identified, so you need to probe and follow wires from pins to their terminations at the capsule. By deduction, you will find the correct conductor between head pin and rear diaphragm connection.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

G33Studio

• Real Full Name: Gary Mondello
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »

Thanks so very much Klaus, for sharing your time and knowledge. I'll download the schematic and investigate.
Best regards,

Gary M.

namal

• Real Full Name: namal khan
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »

you're amazing!

I'll need to find someone who speaks German to help me to navigate their site, but it looks like just the resource that I needed.

Thank you so much!
Whether you want to pass 1Y0-200 exam dumps exam exams or looking for LPIcertification, our Black River Technical College can provide guaranteed success in real exam of University of Pennsylvania
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 22 queries.