R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Consoles Advice Please.... Thank you ahead of time  (Read 4643 times)

arc flash

• Real Full Name: Trent Donohue
Recording Consoles Advice Please.... Thank you ahead of time
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:23:09 AM »

I own a small independant record label and am looking to build my studio. Money is not an issue and am looking at the Neve Genesys, Neve 88rs and SSL 9000. Any suggestions for the boards. I have many varieties of artists that will be at the studio. I haven't used some of the higher end consoles but really would like the studio to shine.
on the space issue...... live room is 30x45 with 14' ceilings
17x17 piano/drum isolation room
(2) 7x9 isolation rooms for isolating instruments or guitars
13x9 extra isolation room for just in case
9x9 vocal booth
and 18x25 control room

Fletcher

Re: Recording Consoles Advice Please.... Thank you ahead of time
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »

I'm going to guess you'll eventually be working on some form of DAW?  So -- how important is a "large format" console really going to be to your label?  For that matter, will you really require something with powerful automation like an 88R or an SSL 9K?

Perhaps something more on the recording end -- like an 8048 [like 32 inputs of class A electronics] might be a better fit than a behemoth mixing desk and a metric fuck ton of outboard microphone amplifiers because the mic amps in the desks like 88R's and 9k's ain't all that great.

Just a thought
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

MikeRivers

• Real Full Name: Mike Rivers
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 01:38:20 PM »

I own a small independant record label and am looking to build my studio. Money is not an issue and am looking at the Neve Genesys, Neve 88rs and SSL 9000. Any suggestions for the boards. I have many varieties of artists that will be at the studio.

Gee, it must be nice for money to not be an issue and to have clients lined up. I'm totally with you about having a studio with a console. For one thing, it impresses the clients becaue it looks like a real studio control room. For another, tracking workflow almost always is smoother and simpler when you're using a hardware console than if you have to fuss with auxiliary outputs and interface port assignments in a computer before you can hear the first note or set up the first headphone mix. And if you don't have a huge number of tracks to deal with, mixing on a console is often faster and more organic (though less surgically precise) than doing everything in the box. The hybrid approach of using the computer for editing, some signal processing, and submixing of related tracks with the dynamic mixing being done on a console is often a good way to work.

But you didn't mention what you'll be using as a recorder. I assume it'll be a computer DAW, probably Pro Tools. Unless you're working a project end-to-end in your studio, your clients will expect Pro Tools. You might want to look into a console that has enough channels for tracking and mixing, but also integrates, at least partially, with Pro Tools. Take a look at the SSL 900 series. Or, if you just want a good analog console that's not too big but still looks and sounds impressive, the API 1608 might ber a good choice.

One determing factor is how many analog inputs and outputs your DAW interface has. You may not need a DAW input for every console output or vice versa, but you should allow for some flexibility. Something the Antelope Orion, for instance, has 32 inputs and 32 outputs which lets you work pretty much the same as you would with a 24-channel console and a 24-track recorder, with extra inputs and outputs that allow you to patch outboard analog gear into the digital recording or playback stream.

Lots to consider. I realize it's been a while since you posted your question (I don't get around here very often) so hopefully you've done some looking and have some more questions, and some answers by now. 
Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledege of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio
--John Watkinson

For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

oneflightup

• Real Full Name: Nick Irving
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 09:16:17 AM »

Hi all,

May I offer a few words of support for the API 1608.... This may be just what the poster is after. Nice punchy analogue front end and a great combo with a DAW as your multitrack. Mix in or out of the box, up to you.
Ok, hands up, I'm a little biased as I own a 1608. But I really do have to say they are amazing to work on. Costly to buy, sure, but you get what you pay for. And you say price isn't an option.

If you're an out of the box mixer like me, you might wanna go for the 32 channel version...

Hope that helps,

Nick
One Flight Up Recording Studios Sydney

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »

My dear friend Trevor Gibson is running that kind of rig [32 channels of 1608] at Circle Studios in Birmingham [UK].

The product coming from there sounds phenomenal... and while we all know a studio is a far more complex item than just a console, the desk absolutely doesn't get in the way [as many are known to do].

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »

If you are getting good rates and a steady stream of willing customers, perhaps tell everyone else your secret?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 23 queries.