R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000  (Read 6790 times)

smykes

ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000
« on: May 07, 2004, 04:52:30 PM »

Any one used one of these?  I know it is Behringer and in most company that's almost a sin but for $199 for 8 preamps and w/ ADAT i/o I'm sure someone here has used one.  Adding another 8 tracks to my MOTU 828 for $199 is so tempting.  Experience?  Not looking for killer studio quality as I don't have much of an audience, this is just more for fun then anything else.  All comments appreciated

Family Hoof

Re: ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 01:33:58 AM »

I might've bought one but I sold my optical interface and have developed more and more of anti-Behringer attitude as time goes by. If I were you, I would try the SM Pro PR8 MKII. It also sells for $200 (search google) with the ADAT out as an option, but adds the benefits of phase flip, phantom, inserts, and bal + unbal analog outs to each channel. The preamps can't possibly be any worse than Behringer, probably almost the same I'd imagine, and the bang:buck ratio blows the ADA8000 away for sure! Be careful to make sure you're actually getting the optical outs when you order. [EDIT] Unfortunately I have not tried either of these units, and no I'm not affiliated with either company. May want to wait for some actual feedback before you bite but it seems like a no brainer. The ADA8000 was reviewed in the TapeOp issue before last. Larry didn't trash it or give it praise, just said it like it is - 8 extra inputs for very little money to use when you need them.
~Jens J.

Labs

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 04:08:40 AM »

I got one for the same reason as you.
Nothing thats gonna be used in mixdown goes thru it, but

josh

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 02:24:15 PM »

The Behringer preamps are probably almost identical to the ones in the SM Pro Audio box, at least in design, and perhaps better in some respects.  The SM Pro Audio PR8 (analog only) has only 40 dB of gain which could be a major problem depending on which mics you have and how much gain you normally need...  Normal mic preamps, such as the Behringer stuff, has more like 60 dB of gain.

I can say I don't know for sure what's in the guts of the SM Pro box or in the Behringer, but reports I have read about the innards of a PR8 and what I know first-hand from the pres in a Behringer compact mixer indicate that at least those products are really similar.  Input is capacitively coupled and uses cheap bipolar transistors for mic gain, feeding an op amp line stage, which is pretty much the same as Mackie et. al.  Pretty standard.  The rest of the "channel" gain is done by dual op amps, in the case of Behringer, TI 4580 parts which are pretty decent (specs-wise) amplifiers that tend to sound forward and a bit hypey in the upper mids.  Mackie uses a noiser, cheaper op amp for the same purpose that may be more musical.  I replaced these 4580s in a Behringer compact mixer with select parts from Burr-Brown and other TI parts, and while the character of the tone changed considerably (forward midrange gone, more "sweet" and laid back), the graininess and distortion in the mic pre was unaffected, and the sound off of the insert was obviously unaffected...

I guess what I'm getting at is, the Behringer mic pre is going to be in the same kind of specs/performance camp with Mackie, SM Pro Audio, Alesis, you name it, cheap stuff.  I don't really "get" why everyone's so down on Behringer but I don't want to get into that debate.  SM Pro Audio may not be a whole lot different...  Same Chinese stuff with a non-Chinese name stuck on it.  I don't think I'd buy SM Pro stuff over Behringer at the same price out of some moral conviction.  Behringer is a more established company with at least some record of quality.  Reports I have read on the SM Pro Audio stuff is that their QC makes Behringer look like Neumann.

On the note of the sound of the thing, you know Behringer's digital mixer has gotten some pretty good reviews.  I could not find one that complained about the sound of the thing, but they all simply focused on features (certainly there must be one somewhere).  I would expect their digital Pro-8 to be in the same kind of camp, probably using the same exact design.

FWIW my Behringer mixer is in a disassembled pile collecting dust in my garage.  I decided I was not going to record another track with it because of the strident/aggressive upper midrange and lack of high-end extension.  This may not be very different from any cheap console though.  

Shadowself

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 05:31:03 PM »

I've been curious about adding this unit just to get 8 more channels of D/A conversion. I mix analog and have 16 channels of fairly high quality A/D and D/A but I'd like to add another 8 outputs on the cheap to use the full capacity of my RME 9652.

Any comments on the quality of just the converters? I'd never use the mic pres but for $199 those converters may be too good to pass up for the price.

Pat

"So shines a good deed in a weary world..."
-Willy Wonka

Kent Clemmons

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 02:08:53 PM »

I am using 3 of these going into a HD24 harddisk. The sound isn't bad on a budget. I really like that the ADAT outputs and the analog outputs work at the same time. I can run the analog outs to a monitor board for confidence monitoring or to supply a live feed to DVD while going to disk, I have thought about upgrading but doing live recording I am not sure if the step up to Focusrite or the like is going to help considering the stage bleed I end up with (will I hear the difference?).
Kent Clemmons
Electromagnetic Compatibility Branch
Naval Undersea Warfare Center
Venue Studio

spankenstein

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 03:10:25 PM »

I've had one for a few months and while I've got no awesome preamps (Mackie, Peavey, MOTU, Behringer) when swapping out for sounds sometimes they are the winner.

I've (knock on wood) had no problems with Behringer gear. I've had a mixer, headphone amp, and the ADA8000. Being a hobbyist and always on a budget I look for affordable and "good enough for me." So that's a perspective.

nicki guru

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 10:23:35 AM »

hi i got one i can say i don't really like the preamps
sound too bright and digital
but i use it as converter and i can say it really works
ciao

theo mack

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 12:15:15 AM »

How do you bypass the pre amps?

" I just use it as a converter"

Is there an insert point , line input or something?
If so, Then is it a true bypass of the first gain stage or just a pad?
theo mack
Freelance Audio Guy

Las Vegas, NV.

nicki guru

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 05:03:01 AM »

well, this behringer has 8 mic preamp and 8 line so using these ones let you convert the sound and it sounds nice to me or linear
we could say it sounds decent Razz

theenvycorps

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 12:59:11 PM »

Word on the street is the converters are Alesis ADATs just reboxed.    If Behringer bought out some Alesis old stock that may explain the ridiculous price point.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 04:41:28 PM »

theenvycorps wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 17:59

Word on the street is the converters are Alesis ADATs just reboxed.    If Behringer bought out some Alesis old stock that may explain the ridiculous price point.

What, are there no 4580 opamps in there? Surely not! Such a Behringer-product doesn't exist, mark you my words.

Cheers,

Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

voidar

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 06:53:29 PM »

I think I will be buying two of these for a total of 16 tracks. Will be handy with drum recording. I am actually quite ok about them sounding "digital" or linear, as they really are supposed to be linear and not color the sound. If I would like some coloration it would be as simple as connecting a different preamp into the Bearingers line input and voila.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.